Anyone ever buy a cheaper pistol for vehicle backup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And yet the latest hunting regs state..except as otherwise provided, no person may transport a loaded firearm in a land or water motor vehicle. So I guess the other rules are maybe "as otherwise provided" . ??
If you dig deeper into the hunting laws, there is a provision that says unless otherwise provided in other laws.
Yes, your correct in that in the hunt stand you can't have a rifle during bow season but nothing prevents you from having a long gun in the vehicle for self protection. You are allowed a hand gun in the bow stand per Oklahoma carry laws.
Could you quote the exact paragraph you say where no person may transport a loaded firearm in a land or water motor vehicle?
I suspect that is on corps of engineer lands. It's a federal law that is not enforced during hunting seasons on state managed WMA's that are on Corps lands.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be found in the 2022-2023 fishing and hunting handbook. Page34 "general hunting regulations"..paragraph titled TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS, BOWS AND CROSSBOWS. Of course it does say except as otherwise provided . it doesn't reference where its provided or even what it's referencing. Could be it's legal to carry your concealed carry gun while bowhunting I don't know. Game laws are state laws unless they are federal laws.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was long before carry laws and all that. But the gentleman was asking if it was legal to carry loaded firearm in vehicle. Point is "depends" on your interpretation,or the judges interpetation, and what set of rules.If,in my opinion, you are carrying loaded in vehicle you may want to have a concealed carry permit just in case.im not saying it's not legal,but there are rules that say otherwise. My 60+ years of dealing with the game laws in this state makes me understand that they are often up to the enforcement to interpret, and they don't always think the same.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Game wardens at least as much jurisdiction as federal officers that have more power than state police in every state. They can even pull you over for speeding
Game wardens at least as much jurisdiction as federal officers that have more power than state police in every state. They can even pull you over for speeding.
Yep

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember it's still illegal to carry a loaded firearm in your car in okla. Cops will take one just like the bad guys.one word of advice,don't leave a box of ammo showing,that's a give away to both law enforcement and criminals.

Yeah, no, that ain't so.

edit - looks like I was late to the party

Last edited:

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The internet sometimes gives respectability to uninformed opinion. Fortunately, somebody will usually come along to set things right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom