Anyone ever shot a T/C contender with a brake in 44 mag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering what a 10" 44 mag with muzzle brake would kick like. I have heard they are brutal without one. Comments with those of experience appreciated.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Grew up shooting contenders with my dad. Shot lot's of steel. We shot mostly Herretts but lot's of .44 too. The contender handles the recoil very well even without the brake IMO, but just like anything else, recoil is relative to the shooter. Hot 45-70 or .444 marlin loads are a little stingy and hard on scopes and scope rings. Shooting .44 Special loads is an option also.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what kind of barrel has a lot to do with it. I've got a light octagon that's a bit rough and a super 14 that's not bad at all.

gemihur

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's one, tapered, with a custom brake designed with same threaded collar as previous 'shell-cracker' choke. Handles well!
44 mag red dot and brake sm.jpg

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Muzzle brakes will tame the recoil but you really need to double up on hear protection-plugs and good quality muffs. I have also shot heavy contenders and like Okie4570 liked the 30 Herret for silly wets. I confess to always wear a shooting clove shooting the heavies. The 14 inch 45/70 my friend shot would tear off forends until he braked it. After being braked it didn't brake the fore end screws anymore. Sure was loud.
in the late 80's I worked for major national company that built, installed and sold muzzle brakes. I have installed a ton of muzzle brakes. I only have one gun left with a brake, a 26 inch bbl, .308 Norma Mag. It shoots best with the brake on. Back in my younger days it shot varmint gun quality 5 shot groups.

Brakes change the dynamics of shooting from recoil management to sound management.

Thanks for listening, I have to go change the batteries in my hearing aids.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to shoot in small, local silhouette matches and used a Contender in .44 mag, but I used a bit milder load and recoil was VERY manageable without any kind of muzzle brake. We only shot out to 100 yards though, so didn't really need full power. It was a SWEET setup. I don't remember what I traded the Contender for, and I'm sure I've gotten a lot of use out of whatever it was... but I often still miss the Contender.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a T/C Contender with a 44 Mag varrel & it doesn't have a brake, I shoot it often enough & I think felt recoil is quite tolerable compared to that of the Ruger Super Blackhawk with the same length barrel.
Don't be afraid to shoot it the way it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom