Anyone familiar with furniture refinishing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mrs. Monkey inherited a gate leg dining table when her grandmother passed. Unknown age and origin. She says it's been around as long as she has so at least 50 years. The only markings are underneath the top. I've attached a photo. It's seen quite a bit of wear over the years and I was hoping I could just give it a light sanding throw some stain and sealer on it and call it good. Any information would be appreciated, Mrs. Monkey would be less than pleased with me if I mess this table up.
38893.jpeg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I would not sand it at all and I wouldn't strip it unless it's just thrashed (or if it's painted and you don't want the paint). There are some refinishers that are simple to use but take some time. Sometimes, a thorough cleaning with lemon oil or something to get old wax off then re-wax will do wonders and it will keep it's charm and patina.

Forgot to add, there are actually some really good videos online just for this.

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mrs. Monkey inherited a gate leg dining table when her grandmother passed. Unknown age and origin. She says it's been around as long as she has so at least 50 years. The only markings are underneath the top. I've attached a photo. It's seen quite a bit of wear over the years and I was hoping I could just give it a light sanding throw some stain and sealer on it and call it good. Any information would be appreciated, Mrs. Monkey would be less than pleased with me if I mess this table up.
Without seeing the other side I would try some Old English Scratch Cover in proper color. It works pretty good for reviving wood furniture, kitchen cabinets, etc.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on the style of the markings I would guess it was a mass market piece of furniture. That being said I would hesitate to sand on it. What looks like solid Oak, Walnut, Maple, etc. could very well be laminate. And once you sand through that there is no fixing it. And those can be so thin that even "light sanding" can go through the laminate. Old English might be your best bet without further research or inspection.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some time ago, I used Formby’s refinisher to restore an old grand piano. It did a beautiful job of removing old varnish and crud without damaging the patina. Easy to use.
This! Formby's Refinisher (at Lowes, Home Depot) won't strip or hurt the wood, but will take old varnish, crud, etc off and give you a nice result. Good stuff, I've used it a lot.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Can you show a picture of the shinny side. Is it a poly finish or stain and wax..... lot of factors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom