Anyone Form 1 a Suppressor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at making my own integrally suppressed Ruger MkIII and was curious if anyone around had any experience building their own can. Form 1 will be submitted tomorrow and the hunt for a donor gun will commence.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't offer any experience in building one, but just make sure you do not have any extra parts left over when you finish. The form 1 will allow you to make just the one suppressor. It will not allow you to have extra/spare baffles or any other parts that are not in the one suppressor.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't offer any experience in building one, but just make sure you do not have any extra parts left over when you finish. The form 1 will allow you to make just the one suppressor. It will not allow you to have extra/spare baffles or any other parts that are not in the one suppressor.

Yep and not allowed to fix my own can in the event I mess something up later. It has to go to a SOT. Maybe I should just pony up the money for a SOT license.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep and not allowed to fix my own can in the event I mess something up later. It has to go to a SOT. Maybe I should just pony up the money for a SOT license.

That's not true. You just have to destroy the old parts before working on new ones.

The SOT is not a license, it is a tax paid that gives an FFL certain privileges with NFA items. Getting an FFL and SOT to maintain your form 1 suppressor is probably not the right way to go.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not true. You just have to destroy the old parts before working on new ones.

Interesting. Learn something new every day.

Picked up the host gun yesterday. Form 1 will be submitted this afternoon if the BATFE's eForms website isn't down.

image.jpg

Now to find an extra barrel.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While looking for a metal lathe to purchase I found a guy in Tuttle who is a machinist that has experience tutoring people and helping them as they make their Form 1 suppressor. Based on what I described, he said that it would take approximately 4 hours and cost $20 an hour. When I am ready, with Form 1 in hand, he will consult with me about materials I need to gather and where from. I will go to his shop and he will give me instruction and supervise as I practice techniques and finally produce the suppressor parts. $80 plus material will be tons cheaper than commercially available options and give me a bit of experience and insight for the next one. Now to just find the most ideal design.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While looking for a metal lathe to purchase I found a guy in Tuttle who is a machinist that has experience tutoring people and helping them as they make their Form 1 suppressor. Based on what I described, he said that it would take approximately 4 hours and cost $20 an hour. When I am ready, with Form 1 in hand, he will consult with me about materials I need to gather and where from. I will go to his shop and he will give me instruction and supervise as I practice techniques and finally produce the suppressor parts. $80 plus material will be tons cheaper than commercially available options and give me a bit of experience and insight for the next one. Now to just find the most ideal design.

Sounds like that should make for a great learning experience. Please post pics of the steps as you build it and the completed project.

Latest posts

Top Bottom