Anyone got an outside neck turner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... with a .257 pilot that I could borrow? Or, maybe I could pay you to do a little outside neck turning for me? Here's the story ... loading for two different .25-284's ... one Winchester and one Savage. Have loaded with re-formed 6.5-284 brass ... some Hornady, some Nosler, and some Lapua ... and with two different sets of dies ... RCBS and Pacific. Especially with the Lapua brass, we can hardly close the bolt on some of them. All full-length re-sized and trimmed to length. I've loaded for that Savage for a while and never had this issue, but was not loading Lapua brass. I mic'd the necks of some various loaded ammo, and it seems the Lapua, in some cases, runs about .010" larger than the others. I also thought about small based dies, but would like to figure this out without a lot of additional expense. I don't just want to throw money at it! Your thoughts?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm figuring since you've loaded this round before with success, bullet seat depth isn't an issue and your fl sizing die is adjusted down far enough.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The die will not change the neck thickness enough to make a difference before it likely wears the brass out. It would have to be turned.

I picked up this one https://www.midwayusa.com/product/789257/k-and-m-micro-adjustable-neck-turner-with-carbide-cutter for the 223/556 cases that I convert to 300BLK and it has worked pretty well so far. The handle can be inserted into a drill for bulk turning but if it's only a few cases it's not that bad to do by hand.

I only have the the pilot for the 308 but if you pick up one for your need you can try it out and see if it is something that will work for you.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm figuring since you've loaded this round before with success, bullet seat depth isn't an issue and your fl sizing die is adjusted down far enough.

Correct. Bullets are seated short of the lands, and the size die is touching the shell holder ... in fact, I adjusted it down until it is actually 'camming over' slightly.

I only have the the pilot for the 308 but if you pick up one for your need you can try it out and see if it is something that will work for you.

Thanks, NightShade! Might be taking you up on that!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My savage Axis .223 and my Mossberg 100ATR .243 do not get along with the Lapua cases either..Necks are too thick and I turned mine down with the RCBS neck turner tool. It is hand held..I use Lee case holder and a cordless variable speed drill to hold the case and spin it.

I did neck turn some 30-30 for my model 94 because cases measured .010" to .014" and I was getting groups that always had severe fliers.
Did not really show up much with faster jacketed loads.

Another issue with lapua cases is in my .308 which I can't get into the upper accuracy node with Varget or IMR 4064 because not enough case volume so shooting in the 2500 fps area if I use lapua cases in them.
Kind of sad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom