Anyone gravitate back to DAO for carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the DA/SA with decocker. Liked the feel at first so bought one. Really started appreciating it as it replaced my 1911 for carry. I am scared of striker fires, but everyone has their own experience. I try and live within my own limitations and comfort levels.
I agree. The striker fired guns are fine handguns and great carry guns but take some getting used to. When I transitioned over to a Glock 19, it was the idea of not having a safety on a loaded weapon in the holster more than the actual gun being loaded with no safety on (I think that is Condition 0"?) that hung me up at first. Like many, I had carried either a Colt 1911 or a Browning Hi Power cocked and locked or a SIG P220 (DA/SA). Going to the Glock 19 just didn't seem natural without a safety. But I learned that if you keep your finger off the trigger, they do run as advertised.

That said, while the Glock 19 could well be a perfect combat handgun, I sold mine to my son and now I carry either a SIG P220 or SIG P225A1 (both tuned by the Sig Armorer (he can make a great gun even better). Occasionally I will go to 1911 Colt or 1911 Dan Wesson. For a "mouse gun", I really like the DAO Remington RM380.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started carrying with a revolver,,,
Then upgraded to an exposed hammer DA/SA semi-auto.

I was an absolute snob of a proponent of DA/SA with exposed hammer.

When I handled a Ruger EC9s I liked it,,,
So I used the upgrading from .380 to 9mm excuse.

It wasn't because of the action type though,,,
It was the more powerful cartridge,,,
I had to get used to the DAO.

It didn't take long,,,
And was as effortless as breathing.

Aarond

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wears the finish off. My farm pistol looks horrible. But it functions very well even carried in a less than ideal situation. Over the years the Blackhawk carrier has “polished” off the black on my pistol. I do not plan to sell it so do not care. I am just anal in ensuring the trigger is locked and blocked. And clean it often.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Occasionally I will carry a DAO ... my Remington RM380. Excellent shooting pocket 380ACP. The trigger on this was great out of the box but was enhanced significantly when I installed the Galloway Precision kit. DA trigger pull on this lil' mouse gun is on par with my Sig Armorer tuned SIG P220 and P225A1.
I had a RM380 a few years ago, and traded it for something (I don't remember what). I now pocket carry a Kahr CW380, a very nice piece, but I wish I still had the Remington. I like the DAO idea for pockets since pocket openings, sizes, location, etc. change with each piece of clothing.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like the trigger slack and probably why I am most fond of Glocks, but made a trade on a Sig P365, and while I have used several Sigs, had not really checked out the 365. Went out to the farm and ran a couple mags through it and surprisingly it worked pretty smooth. It holds 10+1 and I have a 15 round backup mag. The size is pretty close to the G43 I was carrying which is a 7+1 with a 10-round extended mag I bought. I hate to think I would need 26 rounds for anything, but who knows.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a RM380 a few years ago, and traded it for something (I don't remember what). I now pocket carry a Kahr CW380, a very nice piece, but I wish I still had the Remington. I like the DAO idea for pockets since pocket openings, sizes, location, etc. change with each piece of clothing.
I agree on how well the RM380 carries.

Will add … The “Galloway Precision“ spring kit made a really good gun even better. If they start to make this gun again, I highly recommend the spring kit. The trigger is so smooth it rivals my tuned Sig 220 and 225A1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom