Anyone gravitate back to DAO for carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j99tc88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The barrel I think is 3 inches, I’ll measure if you would like, both grip modules are for 3.9 inch I believe, one takes a 9 round mag the other has a compact size grip I think with a smaller mag.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started out with double action semi-autos for carry because of the safer trigger similar to a revolver and less prone to accidents. However, I hate the long pull triggers and feel like it is a disadvantage for a true emergency situation having that long heavy pull. Statistics dictate that I probably won't ever be in a real self-defense situation and avoiding an accident is obviously very important because it seems like a lot of the accidental discharges are with striker fire guns. I like glocks, but I hate kydex...In my research, lotta people don't recommend striker fire guns if you use a softer CCW holder (especially if you carry appendix).

So for now, when I pocket carry, I'm still using a striker fire (in a soft pocket holster), but I've switched back to one of my older rigs that is DOA for appendix carry (and gave up some capacity). I'm sort of frustrated because I have various strikers I invested in that I can't make use of except for range queens now unless I change my mind or switch to kydex.

Anyone else have the same thing happen or have any thoughts to add?
I'm better with revolvers because of the long trigger pulls. For some reason I find the long pull to be an aid in accuracy.

Obviously, YMMV.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the idea of DAO but not so much for shooting. The only DAO semi auto I’ve ever like and shot well was a Para Carry with the LDA trigger, and I still regret getting rid of that gun. I’ve tried DAO Smith revolvers a handful of times, and I have a Kimber K6s now. I like the Kimber the best, but I’m still not sold on it.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started out with double action semi-autos for carry because of the safer trigger similar to a revolver and less prone to accidents. However, I hate the long pull triggers and feel like it is a disadvantage for a true emergency situation having that long heavy pull. Statistics dictate that I probably won't ever be in a real self-defense situation and avoiding an accident is obviously very important because it seems like a lot of the accidental discharges are with striker fire guns. I like glocks, but I hate kydex...In my research, lotta people don't recommend striker fire guns if you use a softer CCW holder (especially if you carry appendix).

So for now, when I pocket carry, I'm still using a striker fire (in a soft pocket holster), but I've switched back to one of my older rigs that is DOA for appendix carry (and gave up some capacity). I'm sort of frustrated because I have various strikers I invested in that I can't make use of except for range queens now unless I change my mind or switch to kydex.

Anyone else have the same thing happen or have any thoughts to add?
Very recently I had a run in while working out in western Oklahoma with a wild pig that charged me at close range in heavy vegetation so only short time to react. I was carrying my P226 DA/SA, and I didn't notice the trigger pull on that first shot...I really didnt even feel the recoil, to the point I checked my pistol for malfunction cause I thought it misfired lol. Adrenaline is one heck of a drug and I'm sure it would be similar in most situations.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't normally care for DAO handguns. Even though I did carry a DAO J-frame for a few years, I doubt that I will ever go back to a DOA carry gun again.

I'm no trigger snob and I've never modified any of my handgun triggers but years ago I did some trading for several firearms and one of them was a P250. I absolutely hated the trigger on that thing and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough but the guy I sold it to seemed very happy to get it.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before I lost them in that tragic boating accident, I had really been digging striker fire semi autos with one in the pipe. I had a DAO revolver, find I hate the trigger. I carried it because the shape was very concealable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom