Anyone Have a Clue About the New Kimber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a Kimber Master Dealer in the mid 2000s for about 5 years. I was on their dealer advisory board for 3 years. I had a website dedicated strictly to selling Kimber parts. I've owned more Kimber handguns than I can remember (1911 pistols only...never had one of the others). I had some I didn't care for. But I never had one that was problematic. Never had a customer complain about one, either.

I always thought it was odd (even funny) when Kimber went to their external extractors way back when...mid 2004 or 05 maybe. Oh, Lord, the b****ing that went on. So much so that Kimber ditched them and even replaced slides for unhappy customers. But not a peep about the evils of external extractors when Sig and S&W introduced their line of 1911s.

I've never understood the level of hate in the gun world for Kimber. I know there are personal preferences and all... I will NEVER own an H&K firearm. Not because they don't make nice guns. Because their company was such a horrible PITA to deal with back when I was in the business. Kimber got a bad rap for their MIM parts. And, admittedly, those MIM parts didn't take a finish very well and some looked downright shabby right out of the box. I also heard they had parts made in China (which was never true). All sorts of rumors and trash talk went on (still does, I suppose...I just don't have to hear as much since I no longer have the store).

I'm always excited when an established gun company offers something new. Even if it's similar to what's already out there. There's usually just enough of their twist to make it interesting to someone.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A new teaser photo. Assuming it's the "new" Kimber, it's got a polymer frame with a trigger and takedown lever that looks just like a Glock or some S&W handguns. The grip looks like it's short and fat. I'm hoping there's more to this than just hype:

unnamed.jpg

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a Kimber Master Dealer in the mid 2000s for about 5 years. I was on their dealer advisory board for 3 years. I had a website dedicated strictly to selling Kimber parts. I've owned more Kimber handguns than I can remember (1911 pistols only...never had one of the others). I had some I didn't care for. But I never had one that was problematic. Never had a customer complain about one, either.

I always thought it was odd (even funny) when Kimber went to their external extractors way back when...mid 2004 or 05 maybe. Oh, Lord, the b****ing that went on. So much so that Kimber ditched them and even replaced slides for unhappy customers. But not a peep about the evils of external extractors when Sig and S&W introduced their line of 1911s.

I've never understood the level of hate in the gun world for Kimber. I know there are personal preferences and all... I will NEVER own an H&K firearm. Not because they don't make nice guns. Because their company was such a horrible PITA to deal with back when I was in the business. Kimber got a bad rap for their MIM parts. And, admittedly, those MIM parts didn't take a finish very well and some looked downright shabby right out of the box. I also heard they had parts made in China (which was never true). All sorts of rumors and trash talk went on (still does, I suppose...I just don't have to hear as much since I no longer have the store).

I'm always excited when an established gun company offers something new. Even if it's similar to what's already out there. There's usually just enough of their twist to make it interesting to someone.
I too have a generally favorable view of kimbers 1911s. Even the series II ones. The last 15 years of styling is another thing

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The market is flooded with micro staggered stacked 9's. As a gun owner, you have to love it. Wasn't that long ago, we had the Glock 26 and an HK that cost more than a used car.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would Kimber make a Glock or MP 2.0? This will go over like a turd in the punch bowl for most. A few Kimber die hards will sing its praises. Most will ignore or despise it.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh how I hope it's a plastic striker fired double stack. There are surprisingly few of those around. There's just so much more of that platform to explore. Can't figure out why they've never really caught on. Maybe, with enough hype, Kimber can change lots of peoples perception.

Latest posts

Top Bottom