Anyone have a Ruger Police Carbine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone had one and what they thought of it. . It is the original Ruger 9mm carbine and uses the same mags as the P series pistols. P89, etc. I was thinking about trying to trade my nickle Camp 9 for one since I can not seem to trade for a 5906, etc to go with it.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one of the originals, but it's in 40SW................... Haven't taken it out of the safe in years, but last time I shot it was great.......... I had the p95 pistol in 40sw for awhile--because mags are interchangeable.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you shot a Ruger PC Carbine? I did not care for the one I tried. FWIW I liked the Beretta Carbine much more.
No I have not, that is why I am asking. Not the new model either. I am only interested in the old 9mm version that used the same mags as the Ruger P89.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I have not, that is why I am asking. Not the new model either. I am only interested in the old 9mm version that used the same mags as the Ruger P89.
I haven’t shot one. I like the way the old ones stocks look. The new ones look kind of fugly. The heat shroud ones look slightly better but not enough to perk my interest. But there is an advantage to the new ones RickN, they can take glock mags in addition to the Ruger mags. Some type of adapter.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t shot one. I like the way the old ones stocks look. The new ones look kind of fugly. The heat shroud ones look slightly better but not enough to perk my interest. But there is an advantage to the new ones RickN, they can take glock mags in addition to the Ruger mags. Some type of adapter.
Yes but they do not take the old style Ruger mags, and I will not own a Glock.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes but they do not take the old style Ruger mags, and I will not own a Glock.
As much as I have read I did not know you hated the Tupperware Austrian guns. I used to hate them basically because of cosmetics, they were boxy and ugly and I preferred my 1911. Then I got hooked up with a steal of a deal and after a lot of rounds I came to like the odd trigger in it. Actually a pretty accurate gun. What is your loathing of the glock from?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I have read I did not know you hated the Tupperware Austrian guns. I used to hate them basically because of cosmetics, they were boxy and ugly and I preferred my 1911. Then I got hooked up with a steal of a deal and after a lot of rounds I came to like the odd trigger in it. Actually a pretty accurate gun. What is your loathing of the glock from?
It just does not feel right in my hand. I have fired some friends have and my step daughter carriers one that I have handled a lot, but it feels like a Hi-Point to me. That is why I always joke about them being the Hi-point expensive model. I grew up on single action revolvers, got use to DA revolvers, then 1911s, My old Ruger P89 feels OK along with a few other semi-autos but Glocks feel weird along with those revolvers with the low mounted barrel.

Last edited:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of the originals in .40 with the ghost ring rear sight. It is scary accurate and fun to shoot. The only thing I don't like is the limited mag capacity. The biggest reliable mags you can find are 11rds.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It just does not feel right in my hand. I have fired some friends have and my step daughter carriers one that I have handled a lot, but it feels like a Hi-Point to me. That is why I always joke about them being the Hi-point expensive mode
Remember we are talking about magazines. Glock mags are cheap and reliable. Plus, it just fun having a small carbine with 33 rounds.
I have the kel-tec sub 2000 that takes Glock mags

Latest posts

Top Bottom