Anyone Have a S&W Model 17?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The S&W Mod 17 and its 4" brother the Mod 18 are a great understudy for other K and L frame revolvers. You can learn a lot from the .22 version. Another plus is that they are fun to shoot. With some care, the action can be turned to something really pleasant to shoot both SA and DA. The 17 is more common than the 18.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned 4 K frames in 22lr. The only one I've held on to is a 617-4.

You are probably aware of the infamous tight chambers in S&W 22lr revolvers. After firing four or five cylinders extraction can become extremely difficult. This can easily be resolved by reaming the chambers to SAAMI specifications. With a model 17, reaming will remove the bluing from the inside of the chambers. This means that you must take extra care to ensure that the chambers are oiled before storage. This is not a concern with the stainless model 617.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good info for all @zipty6 ; thanks for posting this. Yes, I'm aware of it, but wasn't thinking about it when I started to look into maybe getting one.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 617s are really nice 22s.They are a little heavy for a 22 at 44 ounces but my main dislike was cleaning 10 cylinders.I would usually end up taking my ruger sp101-22 that weighed 30 ounces and had 8 cylinders to clean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom