Anyone Have Progressive Car Insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Truth. Donated a bunch to Hillary and Biden's campaigns.

And in some years donations have been overwhelmingly in favor of republican candidates. And some years they were about even. So what? I guarantee you every major corporation does pretty much the same thing at some point or another.

They donated just over $40,000 to democrats (all democrats) and just under $20,000 to republicans in 2016. I wouldn't call that "a bunch" for a company that size. In 2020 I'd agree...donations were about 5 to 1 in favor of democrats. But in 2010 republicans got 66% of their donations and in 2014 got 58% of their donations.

Again...this information is out there if you take 5 seconds to look it up.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before divorce:
Had Safeco. Multiple claims, never a problem. Then they decided not to renew our policy due to all the claims on my ex because she absolutely has to wreck every 6-9 months. Whether it's her fault or not she has to have a freaking collision regularly. Our agent put us with Progressive at about a 65% lower rate than we had been paying which did go up through the multiple claims but it wasn't an earth shattering amount. I was kinda shocked about that but the new rate with the new company probably explains it. These claims included a total loss on a Honda CRV which was "ruled" at fault on her but that's a whole nuther story. Progressive premiums were around $140 per month. Full coverage on her car and my pickup less collision on the truck only.

After divorce:
I'm pretty sure she kept the same coverage. I know that I did. My premium dropped to $50 and change. Hers are $495 a month for bare bones liability plus whatever collision/comp if she kept them. Granted her car is newer but it's isn't a high end car by any means. I'm going to bump my liability back up to pre-covid/layoff amounts when I renew next time. During covid I cut back and was going to cut more but the divorce saved me from having to do that. Haven't had a claim with Progressive yet but their app make it look really easy to do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The GEICO rep I spoke with said it was due to price increases and limited availability of replacement parts for the most part. I don't know how true that is.
I can believe that. Wife's friend hit a deer just before Christmas with her Kia Sorento.
It took 4 months to get parts from across the pond.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, they quoted me $879 for 6 months as opposed to over $1100 from GEICO. Kinda pisses me off because I've been with GEICO for over 10 years. So about $146 per month. That's for full coverage on a 2018 Cruze and a 2017 F250. And that's after GEICO bumped me about $150 per month for adding my wife to my policy and another $120 month after I changed my address.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had multiple people tell me that insurance companies don't give one whit whether you stick with them for years. I know it was that way in times past but apparently it isn't any more. They have ZERO regard for customer loyalty and everyone should shop rates every year. We are just a number to them now. I just absolutely hate shopping insurance so I generally don't.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had multiple people tell me that insurance companies don't give one whit whether you stick with them for years. I know it was that way in times past but apparently it isn't any more. They have ZERO regard for customer loyalty and everyone should shop rates every year. We are just a number to them now. I just absolutely hate shopping insurance so I generally don't.
Most insurers have discounts for long term policies. Does the company personally care about you? No, it’s a financial transaction, why should they?

Your local agent might take up for you a bit if you’ve been with them a while but that is highly subjective and not related to any certain insurance company.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you who have Progressive and in Mustang/OKC area, would you mind sending me your agent name in a private reply? We have Allstate and nothing but increases so ready to start shopping around.

You're right - the insurance companies don't care how long you've been with them and honestly don't care if you switch carriers.

My buddy Google shows this: Progressive is owned by its shareholders, as it is a publicly-traded company. The biggest shareholders are The Vanguard Group, BlackRock Fund Advisors, and Wellington Management, which have a combined ownership stake of almost 20%, according to public records, as of Q1 2021.

And follow with Mr Google had this to say:
Here is Progressive’s response to inquiries regarding the misconceptions of the “affiliation” between George Soros and Progressive:

“Peter Lewis, Progressive's former Chairman, passed away in 2013. Throughout his life, he gave generously from his personal wealth to a variety of organizations and causes, ranging from politics, to arts and education. His donations were covered broadly by the media, and the ACLU was one of a number of organizations Peter supported personally.
Progressive's 40,000+ employees support a broad spectrum of political, social, and religious affiliations. Peter’s philanthropic activities, like those of any other Progressive employee, past or present, were his own and did not reflect the opinions or beliefs of Progressive.
That said, we've come across different versions of this chain letter for years and have found that they are, without exception, riddled with inaccuracies, misrepresentations, and half-truths. The details in this letter can be easily researched through reputable sources on and offline. I'm confident you'll reach the same conclusion. For example, Progressive does not have now, and never has had, any association with George Soros. Progressive also has never provided any financial support to any of the organizations mentioned in this chain letter.”

Latest posts

Top Bottom