Anyone here reloads primers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are walking a fine line here of manufacturing an explosive device without a license. I realize it is a very small device, but it you mix the chemicals in a large batch before dispensing it to the individual primers, that might be an issue. But I'm reasonably sure the ATF is busy rounding up all the 14 year olds that are putting full auto switches on their glocks so you should be GTG.
I'm pretty sure I'm in line with the law as far as I'm concern, curious where you get that citation from?

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know two people who recharge their primers and the juice isn't worth the squeeze IMO . Right now all I am hand loading are center fire I CAN'T easily get at the store. With the cost of components its been just about as cheap to buy the ammo loaded as it has been to hand load it .

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it could be done. What would it take to make the compound in small batches? Enough to make about 500 primers at a time for example.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it could be done. What would it take to make the compound in small batches? Enough to make about 500 primers at a time for example.
It can and has been done. Visit aardvaarkreloading.com. Marshall has lists of ingredients for “non corrosive” priming compounds that’ll work and has been tried and true for the members on there. And they have had 100% success rate. I’ve seen it and watch their tutorials and videos on there. They use the “eph 20” formula to make non corrosive compounds. I have 1.5 kilorgrams of the sodium hypophosphite to make lead hypophosphite to make non corrosive compounds.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, the price of that is extremely lucrative. I’d rather not waste time buying it at that price when the ingredients are already well known. That particular compound comes from the frankford arsenal’s H-48 compound. It has been used in the military in the past but the only downside of that compound is that it is corrosive and you have to wash everytime you use that compound. It contains the following compound in H-48: potassium chlorate, sulfur, antimony sulfide(chinese needles), and ground glass. It’ll work for sure and not to mention the ingredients are readily available. The downside is, as mentioned, it is corrosive and once mixed it is explosive and must be mixed carefully so as not to set it off. Must be made in controlled small batches only.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t need a citation just like the ATF. They just make **** up as they go.
I’m pretty sure there’s citations for it. You can make primer for home use, given you are not selling it with intent on making a profit. Same goes for reloading ammo, you can make your own ammo as long as you don’t intend on making it with intent to sell it. But why would you make ammo for someone else anyway? You risk getting sued for liability and damages done, which is not worth the trouble. Also, the same can be said for home made propellant, black powder for example is made with potassium nitrate, sulfur, charcoal and sometimes a dab of dextrin is use to bind the meal powder when you “corn” it and granulate it. You can make it for personal use but you cannot make it to sell it not give it away. You can reread the law for yourself. It says that on the government website.

Last edited:

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering the national expert on HME blew is hand off, in a controlled environment I think I’ll abstain. Make no mistake, that’s exactly what you’re playing with. There’s also been at least one PROFESSIONAL blow himself up manufacturing lead styphnate for primers. I’m 100% okay with buying primers vs trying to make them.

Attachments

• 3C771BF1-5E79-4838-A0A1-9DE61738BEAC.png
    3C771BF1-5E79-4838-A0A1-9DE61738BEAC.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom