Anyone here reloads primers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, those are things that could be dangerous. What you’re failing to see is the difference between the two. I’m not even positive you can manufacture lead styphnate without an explosives permit.

You’re wanting to manufacture primary explosives. Even in small quantities, it’s enough to need help opening pickle jars forever. A #7 cap weighs a bit over 12 grains IIRC off the top of my head. You can find some sweet pictures of f****d up hands and one mangled face from people doing dumb **** with detonators. Primary explosives typically aren’t as strong, but they love to blow up. Bang a graduated cylinder against the counter and you’ll get 50% off gloves.

I’ve been at a factory where they were pressing granulated C4 into bricks about 5 feet from me. Stuff like that, messing with factory made secondary explosives isn’t a big deal. Primary explosives require a different level of care. And I WILL NOT be around someone’s home made stuff. It’s about as safe as smoking a cigarette in someone’s travel trailer meth lab.
AardvarkReloading.Com Come join the crew at mewe.com 😉

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start with a basic reality check

1) is it legal? - not my area and I don't intend to do it, so it's an academic question for me. If you are going into questionable legal areas, get good answers from trained professionals. Read and understand the regs. A legal defense, successful or not, is likely to cost much more than any amount you save on primers.

2) Safety - each of us has to weight the risk and reward on this one. I know how important my hands and eyes are to my livelihood and enjoyment of life. I know what it costs to go to the ER. How much are you really saving so you can burn more powder and fling more lead?

3) How many times can you reuse a primer? Each time you strike it and remove the dent you work harden the cap. If you do it enough time's it will rupture on firing. That goes to the cost in the risk vs reward equation. You will have to buy primers sooner or later. It also adds a risk. How well do your guns handle a ruptured primer - will gasses vent past the firing pin at your face, or eject the firing pin into you? This varies by design and condition of the gun.

4) How consistent are the finished products and how do they compare to commercially available products? All of my reloading books point out that magnum vs standard primers can change the pressures of your reloads. If what you produce is inconsistent from cap to cap or with commercial products, you may have a variety of issues with accuracy and over pressuring.

Your liberty, wealth, and well-being - your choice.

Last edited:

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Start with a basic reality check

1) is it legal? - not my area and I don't intend to do it, so it's an academic question for me. If you are going into questionable legal areas, get good answers from trained professionals. Read and understand the regs. A legal defense, successful or not, is likely to cost much more than any amount you save on primers.

2) Safety - each of us has to weight the risk and reward on this one. I know how important my hands and eyes are to my livelihood and enjoyment of life. I know what it costs to go to the ER. How much are you really saving so you can burn more powder and fling more lead?

3) How many times can you reuse a primer? Each time you strike it and remove the dent you work harden the cap. If you do it enough time's it will rupture on firing. That goes to the cost in the risk vs reward equation. You will have to buy primers sooner or later. It also adds a risk. How well do your guns handle a ruptured primer - will gasses vent past the firing pin at your face, or eject the firing pin into you? This varies by design and condition of the gun.

4) How consistent are the finished products and how do they compare to commercially available products? All of my reloading books point out that magnum vs standard primers can change the pressures of your reloads. If what you produce is inconsistent from cap to cap or with commercial products, you may have a variety of issues with accuracy and over pressuring.

Your liberty, wealth, and well-being - your choice.
The reality check is, there’s no primer to be found. If there was, it’ll cause an arm and a leg, also as I stated before, the pandemic sure taught me that you can’t really rely on big market to always have what you need…history has shown that.(examples, WW2, WW1, The Great Depression…and the recent pandemic…) I’m not doing it to save money on primers. I can’t find any primers, and if I did, it’ll cost an arm and a leg…on top of that, who’s to say with a 100% certainty that there won’t be another pandemic or WW3? Sure you can stockpile it if you want to but that supply is finite and won’t last forever, I rather know how to make my own, when I want to and however I like to knowing that I don’t have to worry about ammo or components. I can sleep like a baby knowing that I can make my own. 😋😋😋

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The reality check is, there’s no primer to be found. If there was, it’ll cause an arm and a leg, also as I stated before, the pandemic sure taught me that you can’t really rely on big market to always have what you need…history has shown that.(examples, WW2, WW1, The Great Depression…and the recent pandemic…) I’m not doing it to save money on primers. I can’t find any primers, and if I did, it’ll cost an arm and a leg…on top of that, who’s to say with a 100% certainty that there won’t be another pandemic or WW3? Sure you can stockpile it if you want to but that supply is finite and won’t last forever, I rather know how to make my own, when I want to and however I like to knowing that I don’t have to worry about ammo or components. I can sleep like a baby knowing that I can make my own. 😋😋😋
Cabelas has a bunch, I bet BPS and other places do too. They'll be $70-$110 depending on what kind they are. Those prices aren't changing anything soon and I think $35 bricks are a thing of the past. It'll probably settle into $60-$70.

There are plenty of people here I bet would work a deal with you. Maybe.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cabelas has a bunch, I bet BPS and other places do too. They'll be $70-$110 depending on what kind they are. Those prices aren't changing anything soon and I think $35 bricks are a thing of the past. It'll probably settle into $60-$70.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No thanks. I rather make my own. I’m not to keen at being at the mercy of others. The knowledge of how to make your own safely is out there. Should pandemic or shortages strike again, I’ll be alright. 😋😋😋

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No thanks. I rather make my own. I’m not to keen at being at the mercy of others. The knowledge of how to make your own safely is out there. Should pandemic or shortages strike again, I’ll be alright. 😋😋😋I learned me lesson about sup
I learned my lesson during the Obama years and put back an ample supply of components during the “good times“ for my needs. With that said, however, I hope you are successful with your project of reloading primers. If so, please post your methodology; we may all need that knowledge eventually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom