Anyone here shooting 577/450 Martini Henry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never seen any post on this cartridge. Maybe way back in the olden days. I have been shooting this cartridge 20 years and was hoping to find some other like minded individuals.

Or perhaps you have a 577/450 Martini Henry but haven't figured out how to shot it, I'm willing to give you a hand.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh but now is the time for this gun.

This is a gun rich in history. Watch the movie Zulu!

I can help you with moving this gun to the top of your list. I can come up with some ammo for you to shoot the first time. Do you know which model you have? What is the source of your gun. I have a number of these guns from various sources .

There is a large following of Martini shooters on British Militaria Forum. Every fall they have a get together in PA. They refer to themselves as the Victorian Rifleman. Their gathering is a social shooting event, not competition. One of the features of the event is a day spent going through IMA's warehouse. THat is an amazing thing to see in its self.

This is not a cheap gun to shoot.

Brass comes in three forms now, drawn solid head, formed brass shotgun cases and turned cases. Solid head is expensive, turned is for exigent circumstances only. Most Martini shooter now are shooting the formed shotgun cases. These case are formed from CBC 24 gauge brass shotgun cases. There is a guy in Spokane who makes the case up-25 cases for just under $60 for 25. Solid head cases, when you can find them go for $120 per 20. Turned cases about the same as solid head.

Lee and CH4 D make dies but you need a press with a removable die insert for these large diameter dies.

The Martini has odd shaped Henry rifling and uses a bullet .468 in diameter. I have shot .458 bullets in the gun and some shoot .464 bullets. I have a number moulds and coming up with bullets is no problem.

I am most willing to help you get started shooting this gun. All you need to do is come up powder, primers and time. I will help you with tools and technique, to get started.

That may seem generous, but it really is a bit selfish, as I am really looking for a like minded person to shoot with. Ain't no fun going to the range by yourself.

Last edited:

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is what I have. I bought from IMA. It was one of the Nepal ones. I bought the highest quality they had. It has quite a bit of pitting along the wood, but I'm hoping it is good for black powder.

I don't have a lot of free time and I always have to have my three kids with me. Wife is full time studying for CFA.

But if you can point me in the direction for components I would appreciate it.

20210802_211340.jpg

Attachments

• 20210802_211348.jpg
    20210802_211348.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 46

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be glad to help you get started shooting that Martini. They have a glorious history.

Your gun was originally built in 1875 at Enfield as a MKI and latter updated to MKII. Thes guns were sent to Nepal in the early 1900's and you make find a date on the buttstock. There may be other markings indicating prior service also.

Some of this pitting looks scary deep, I have been to the Warehouse at IMA and have handled a large number of these guns, In the Martini Henry's I have not seen any significant pitting. Other guns yes, but not in the Martini's. Compare the depth of the pitting with the depth of a sight dovetail for instance. No comparison actually.

Let's start with cases. Most people shooting the 577/450 use cases formed from CBC 24 gauge brass shotgun shells. I have a box of 25 that haven't been formed yet. When I use these cases I either buy them preformed or send my cases for forming to Martyn Robinson [email protected]. <[email protected]>; . I don't know what the fee is now to get cases form but last year Martyn charged $1 case for 25 plus return postage of $8. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/viewtopic.php?p=220946#p220946

If you get these case formed I show you how to reload them and give you the powder and bullets. On you after that.

Sorry can't help with the Gras and Mauser. Well actually, I probably could...

Latest posts

Top Bottom