Anyone hunting Elk in the walk-in next week?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about the hunt but Friday morning I saw a large herd just off I-44 on Ft Sill property (I think...like the NE corner). I had no idea there were elk around there.

ETA: Saw elk practically every day I lived in Colorado from 1989 to 2015. Lived right on the edge of national forest and wilderness in northern Idaho for 5 years...never saw a single elk. NEVER thought I'd see elk in Oklahoma. I'm glad I did.
There is a large number of elk in the general area. That particular herd is always impressive to see. If you’re interested in a scenic drive, take Hwy 115 in the morning or close to sundown from Meers heading towards Mountain View. Between Meers and the old Saddle Mountain store, you are almost guaranteed to see elk. To be more specific, they can usually be seen within a couple of miles on either side of Saddle Mountain (the actual mountain not the store). All of the locations mentioned can be found with your map app/gps.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a large number of elk in the general area. That particular herd is always impressive to see. If you’re interested in a scenic drive, take Hwy 115 in the morning or close to sundown from Meers heading towards Mountain View. Between Meers and the old Saddle Mountain store, you are almost guaranteed to see elk. To be more specific, they can usually be seen within a couple of miles on either side of Saddle Mountain (the actual mountain not the store). All of the locations mentioned can be found with your map app/gps.

I've driven around that area a few times but never early morning or at sundown. I'll give it a shot, though. Thanks!

Okiemhodge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I thought it was next week. I took a good one last year during the January hunt and wanted to offer to be a helper for some one but missed the week. I have a good pack and strong back! I just enjoy being in the mountains and packing!
I will be going on the 29th of November. I have a son and a friend going along to help me out. I've been going through radiation treatments for cancer for a long time now and i sure don't have the strength or energy like I did before. My name is Mike Hodge. You would be more than welcome to tag along if I do get lucky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom