1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone into annealing i can pay?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Blakew, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Blakew

Blakew Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have a few hundred to anneal it sure would be great to pay someone in beer. 918 619 3772!

2. Profreedomokie

Profreedomokie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It may help you to list what caliber you want done. My Giraud annealing machine takes different conversion kits for some calibers, so other machines may also. I'd be glad to help you out if you were close by ( I'm in Ponca ) and it was .308, .223, or 300 Whisper.

3. Blakew

Blakew Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Your right. Main focus at the moment is 338 lapua. In a few months 6.5 lapua

4. Blakew

Blakew Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Anyone out there with a machine who would be interested in annealing 338lm brass? I have goodies to trade, beer or cash...

5. Glock_21

Glock_21 Sharpshooter

6. Blakew

Blakew Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I appreciate the info. Ive chose the diy path and been successful but with fire and expensive cases I would like to rely on a machine built by someone smarter than me.

7. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have annealed thousands of cases of different sizes and a machine in the wrong hands or right hands not being set correctly will be a fail.

But I have also annealed same make and lot number of Lapua cases and annealed for different amount of time in the flame.. same distance from flame.
    You have to be off quite a bit to make any difference in seating or bullet holding forces.
    Yes I checked seating pressures of annealed cases that were in flame for 6 seconds and up to 24 seconds.

If you want what I think you want you will need to anneal every time.
    I anneal my cases every time.
    There was a time I did not anneal every time and I would have an unexplained flier.. or one or more cases from the same lot fired the same amount of time would exhibit different seating forces when I seated the bullet.
    All my cases get measured for Neck ID before seating a bullet.

Annealing every time eliminates the .0005" difference you may find or .00025".. yes very little difference.
    At short range you will not see it on paper.. you get out 200 yards and farther it shows up. get to 500 and you really see issues.

You probably know all this.
    I anneal all my cases by hand. Pin tumbled before annealing.

No machine.
    MoBoost anneals also and no machine.

When I say unexplained flier from not annealing every time ..I mean there could be 1 hole on paper that took a 1/2MOA group and made it .75 or 1 MOA.

One friend seen a 5 shot group of mine and I said if it was not for that flier.. he said it does not look like a flier to me.
    You get ate up with the accuracy bug and a shot 1/4" away from the others starts to eat on you.

Handloaders disease.

8. okeydoke

okeydoke Sharpshooter

my question is, how do you get guys to hold still for all the spotter shots needed to get a hit, beyond 223 ranges?

9. Blakew

Blakew Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    After much debate I decided to try annealing by hand. I have read and researched until my eyes hurt. Theres a very helpful video by primal rights that details what to look for in properly annealed necks. My first batch looks great. I think the size of the 338lm case makes it easy as the base is only beginning to get hot as i its rested.

10. beastep

beastep Sharpshooter

I dont have the patience to do it by hand. So I dont do it.