Anyone into annealing i can pay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a 5- 25 nightforce atacr. With a 20moa mount i have 75moa available. With a 300gr projo that gets me to 2000. I used 66 minutes of adjustment to smack the mile plate. The app called "bullet flight" is the only one to use in my opinion. Ive always ran remingtons with custom barrels. The desert tech srs is miles above my old remingtons. lothar walther uses a black oxide coating that allows them to coat the inside of the barrel. its insanely easy to remove copper and i have a theory that the consistent friction allows for smoother realeases and lower velocity spread.

Last edited:

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because this thread is awesome and informative Im gonna give this a shot too.

Workflow goes something like this?
Clean brass, FL resize and deprime, anneal, trim to desired length, ...
Or
Trim to length before annealing?

Do some of you necksize after anneal?

Blakew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer to neck size since im using a bolt gun and hoping to get more than 15 firings. I neck size every 4 or 5 firings or until the shoulders grow and need to be bumped back. i have an rcbs full length resizer that i had a machinist drill the neck out of so it only resizes the body and shoulder

I prefer to neck size after i have annealed. I read the process can distort the neck.

My process is as follows:
tumble (corn cob fine ground with new finish mixed in), anneal, neck size, trim to length every 2 or 3 firings as needed, lightly chamfer, debur, powder, seat the projo.

concentricity guages are helpful to identify when a loading technique may be resulting in poor concentricity.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
snipped...
You probably know all this.
I anneal all my cases by hand. Pin tumbled before annealing.

No machine.
MoBoost anneals also and no machine.

Yep. All you need is a propane torch from any big box store and a cake pan with water in it. Other ways work too, but the point is you don't have to have a $300 machine to get good results.

Blakew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 338 lapua is big enough that I can hold it by finger tip amd anneal. I hold it in the flame for 13 seconds. At 14 seconds a flare of orange will appear in the flame as zinc begins to burn. This is when I back off a second. Some may argue my methods but my groups are nasty....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No argument here I started by holding cases with my fingers.
I also clean then anneal and then brush the necks inside and then resize and brush again.

I have experimented with Tempilaq
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/988733/tempilaq-temperature-indicator-750-degree-2-oz

I also experimented with a Sharpie brand medium tip marker.
The sharpie will disappear when the heat is reached. You can draw a line down the case neck and shoulder and watch it as you spin the case.

I seen the HI-Temp sharpies and began testing..I then began testing with regular Sharpie.
On brass the Sharpie works perfectly.. disappears at the same time as tempilaq.

Have fun with that.

I go by sight now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom