Anyone know about a Browning A5 and Winchester 101?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Aunt has some old guns she wants to sell and I know those two out of the group are the two that are the highest. She also has an Oxford Side by Side which I dont think is anything special, and a Sprinfield Side By Side again maybe 300 bucks there. The A5 which has Missouri written on it, which I am guessing where it was imported to. The 101 is made in Japan. Anyone know what they are worth? Browning is a 20 and winchester a 12 gauge. They are in fair to good condition. The Winchester is probably above Good condition.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The average price on Brownings at auctions I've been to will run 500-700 depending on how bad the person wants it.
Keeping in mind that guns at auctions go higher than some online sites.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the Ted Williams from Sears version of the Japanese 101 once upon a time. It was a fantastic shooter and great quality build. I would think that a "real" Win 101 would be fairly pricey but I don't know that market. They are a bit heavy but are outstanding guns.

If the Browning has been personalized it's going to relegate it to shooter status. They are probably the best shotgun ever designed and the Belgians bring a premium but the Japanese actually had a little better metallurgy. Both are good.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the Ted Williams from Sears version of the Japanese 101 once upon a time. It was a fantastic shooter and great quality build. I would think that a "real" Win 101 would be fairly pricey but I don't know that market. They are a bit heavy but are outstanding guns.

If the Browning has been personalized it's going to relegate it to shooter status. They are probably the best shotgun ever designed and the Belgians bring a premium but the Japanese actually had a little better metallurgy. Both are good.
No personalization. Has some scrollwork on it but very minimal so I think it is factory done. The man who owned it (my uncle) was not the type to do such things which makes me think it was original. Idk I may just buy all of them and if I decide to sell give any profits to my aunt. He has a decent collection. A sporterized 1917 as well. A Rem 511 22 short, long and long rifle.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No personalization. Has some scrollwork on it but very minimal so I think it is factory done. The man who owned it (my uncle) was not the type to do such things which makes me think it was original. Idk I may just buy all of them and if I decide to sell give any profits to my aunt. He has a decent collection. A sporterized 1917 as well. A Rem 511 22 short, long and long rifle.

Maybe I misunderstood. I'm pretty sure all the Browning A5s had some scrollwork on the receivers. At least all that I've ever seen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom