Anyone know about House insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Farmers won't write a homeowners policy for less than 80% of it's value.
I could be wrong.

Farmers themselves won't, but their specialty subsidiary Foremost may. Their (Farmers) agents and also many independents can write Foremost and can assist with a quote.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if it's still the case but years ago, there was mortgage ins that covered the balance of the mortgage, Ya might check with the mortgage holder..
What I do know is home insurance is too damn expensive..

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well after reading the OP, let me explain a bit more, that is the kind of post I leave when I have not been to sleep for a couple of days.

First the building was built in 1920, it is a old school. It has been remodeled for living space,, even has a house style kitchen added. The occupancy would be 2 people. Now we are talking a 18,000 sq ft building. Full gymnasium and auditorium, with a commercial sized kitchen, it is able to feed a couple hundred people at a time. I have no clue as to how many rooms, but it is a bunch.

This is why I was wondering about the insurance problem. The local fire dept is rated a 0 (volunteer, with no training, no equipment for a structure fire, plus the town water system CAN NOT flow enough for a pump truck to hook to a hydrant) so in the eyes of insurance, it does not exist. It is not a problem that will ever be fixed. I know this because I am in the same area and get to deal with the insurance problem. Plus I was on the fire dept years ago.

I see some very good ideas on here and today I will call a few places and see what they have to say. The worst they can say is no. :)

Thanks for the help. If just the loan can be covered it would be a done deal. And like my other post about the car, the guy I am speaking with is my son. :)

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well after reading the OP, let me explain a bit more, that is the kind of post I leave when I have not been to sleep for a couple of days.

First the building was built in 1920, it is a old school. It has been remodeled for living space,, even has a house style kitchen added. The occupancy would be 2 people. Now we are talking a 18,000 sq ft building. Full gymnasium and auditorium, with a commercial sized kitchen, it is able to feed a couple hundred people at a time. I have no clue as to how many rooms, but it is a bunch.

This is why I was wondering about the insurance problem. The local fire dept is rated a 0 (volunteer, with no training, no equipment for a structure fire, plus the town water system CAN NOT flow enough for a pump truck to hook to a hydrant) so in the eyes of insurance, it does not exist. It is not a problem that will ever be fixed. I know this because I am in the same area and get to deal with the insurance problem. Plus I was on the fire dept years ago.

I see some very good ideas on here and today I will call a few places and see what they have to say. The worst they can say is no. :)

Thanks for the help. If just the loan can be covered it would be a done deal. And like my other post about the car, the guy I am speaking with is my son. :)

Had a similar issue. House is over 10 miles from town and no fire station closer than that. Most major companies wouldn't insure us. Now we do have just over 10 acres so we went with http://www.farmassure.com. It's a regional company that specializes in Farm and Ranch properties. Their rates are only a few $ higher than say, State Farm but they weren't concerned with the lack of a fire dept. Seems to be what most of the neighbors are using as well. I've not had to file a claim, but a neighbor that has said the service was good.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

:)

If it's an owner-occupied conversion of a school or other old building, you can get insured by most companies but not on a standard policy. It'd be an HO-8 form to offer limited coverages to the older property. That's the key word on type of policy to ask for/explore, but the key is owner-occupied. You'd/They'd need to review the coverage VERY carefully as it's not all the same as a normal policy; most all is pro-rated or Actual Cash Value (depreciated) coverage and not replacement/rebuild costs.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That changes things. Even though it's been remodeled for a habitation, what is the purpose of the building currently? Who will be living in it? Any commercial exposure? I'd be floored if any of the personal lines carriers wrote this considering the size and the ISO rating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom