Anyone load 6.5 Grendel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I hunted tonight and shot a coyote at 200 yds and saw a big cloud of fur when it hit, but he ran off and didn't fall over and I couldn't find him. So I was upset, fast forward a bit and a doe came out, I had ranged some spots before and based on those I guessed her range 400yds, shot, she humped up but began trotting forward, I shot again and saw the dust trail that I was a touch low, adjusted and shot again and she bucked like a bucking bull, I watch her go across to the neighbors field, spin circles for a bit then walk into the woods very staggering. And I never found her! So my question is what loads are you guys loading? What kind of expansion have you had? I'm loading 123gr amax with 8208xbr.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one but have not shot or loaded for it. My cousin had an issue with 123g SST not expanding but I'm not sure what he was loading it with. Have you checked the Grendel Forums? Also, you might make your own ballistic gelatin to test out the expansion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the issue is with the round. More than likely the bullet placement could be the issue.
When a deer humps up, it's likely gut shot. Not immediately fatal. The second shot sounds like it hit good, but don't discount how much blood a deer can loose and still move a long distance.
Just last week, I helped on a recovery where the deer was shot in the vitals and still made over 1/4 mile. Took two very experienced hunters hours total to eventually find the deer. I'm betting yours is dead as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom