Anyone on OSA install tile flooring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tiled my living room and study. Never did it before in my life. I love the tile that looks like wood floors, my dogs slide on it chasing balls and I don't worry at all about scratches. YouTube is your friend.
7e942655542d9cc938ed5c5a86499260.jpg
5945f9ef453283be0a6207247aa5c0a5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the tile...

Most of the cheap stuff isn't flat, so you deal with a lot of lippage issues, not something a DIY person is going to be adept at.

Plus that tile looks better with a very narrow grout space, so lippage is harder to hide.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking, Steve. If you're going for wood-look, then the very very tiny spacing would be best, I think - 1/16"? Even 1/32"? Could run into some problems with that.

No one wants to talk pricing? I don't know if $4/ft to install (only) is good or not? I can't remember offhand what we paid when we had it done in this house, 8 years ago, before we moved in. I "found a guy" who did tilework. Somehow. I dunno.

MosinMann

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking, Steve. If you're going for wood-look, then the very very tiny spacing would be best, I think - 1/16"? Even 1/32"? Could run into some problems with that.

No one wants to talk pricing? I don't know if $4/ft to install (only) is good or not? I can't remember offhand what we paid when we had it done in this house, 8 years ago, before we moved in. I "found a guy" who did tilework. Somehow. I dunno.
I had a bathroom floor done a couple weeks ago and quotes ranged from $2.50 to $5 for install. I didn't know any installers so I used Thumbtack to get the quotes.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Laying tile on a flat floor is very easy. Not that many can get it right DIY when it comes to the details. Cutting accurately against a tub that's curved, around door casings, undercutting the door trim so it's tight over the tile etc. Most aren't that picky about how their tile looks though.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny, The Wife and I were just talking about this yesterday. She wants to pull up the carpet in our front living area and put in that wood-look tile. She found it for $2 per sq ft at Lowe's and they quoted her another $4 per sq ft to install I believe. Does that sound about right to you guys?

Total area is under 400 sq feet. We could probably do it ourselves... I'm just not super hot on doing all that tile cutting, and my knees do NOT like me kneeling on hard surfaces these days. We would definitely have to invest in some of those gel-lined kneepads - oh God, I can't believe I am typing that HERE of all places! Jeez... talk about a setup.
We are looking at the wood-look tile also.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MView attachment 106805 View attachment 106804 Flooring American is at the house now putting wood look tile in the master bedroom and closet and in the living room and hallway. I could do it, I don't have time working 100 hour weeks all summer.

Bottom pic is the master, something new, farmhouse style floor, looks awesome. Living is more of a wood look
This is the look we are going for. I am not going to try the DIY for 3 reasons.
1. Two back surgeries and three knee surgeries.
2. I don't want to drag it out. I want it done quickly.
3. It is about 500 square feet and what everyone sees when they walk in, so I want it to look good.

I was thinking about trying to do the back bedroom myself after I watch them do the living room.

Latest posts

Top Bottom