Anyone really Like the Smith and wesson 500 mag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone really shoot these much?

• Yeah or Nae

Votes: 3 75.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned in above posts and my take on the .500, I have the 4" with 2 factory comps along with an aftermarket blank compensator, which I prefer. Noticeably more recoil but less muzzle blast. Even when using double (muffs/plugs) hearing protection. Thats both indoors and out.
It's a reloaders round from both a cost and performance standpoint as I dont need all that horsepower all the time. Regardless, the .500 has been very accurate at normal handgun ranges.
Ive not hunted with it but Ive loaned for both hog and bear hunt. Score on the pig (1-shot drop, 400+ lb. boar using 400 gr HC) but no bear spotted.
As for recoil and IMO it has it, but a nice factory plinking load I found was 330 gr LSWC at about 1300 fps.
The S&W M329 and M340 both feel like harder kicking especially if using wooden grips.
Lastly, even though I pack a snub-nose, I'm not compensating for anything. I just like the .500 even though cost prohibitive.
I'd really like to have a short (app. 16") SxS in .500

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the chance to fire a S&W 500 a few years ago but the only ammo the guy had was factory and I decided to pass. If I was younger I would have shot it for sure but anymore just don't want to put a lot of strain on my hands and wrists. Looks like a fun gun downloaded to a comfortable recoil and muzzle blast level. And the size, weight and grips of the gun can make a lot of difference.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
454 is .002 over the limit. It has a bullet diameter of .452 as does the 460 sw mag, 45 long colt and 45 acp. So something tells me they round down to the nearest hundredth.
"they round down to the nearest hundredth."

Guess that explains why so many get released early instead of doing their whole sentence 🤔

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t own a .500 SW but I’ve shot one. I shot a couple cylinders through one that belonged to a buddy of a buddy. It was one of the huge/longer barreled ones. It was so heavy that the recoil really wasn’t bad. It was actually super fun to shoot! Just not truly practical for 99% of people lol

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately anything in OK over .45 is illegal to carry, so .454 Casull (only .004 over), .460 Ruger, .50 AE, .50 GAP and 500 S &W would be illegal. I would imagine with the .500 though you wouldn't have to pull the trigger, someone would have a heart attack staring down the barrel of it!

As for the .500 no desire to shoot one. I'm not a hunter and currently there isn't a major Raptor or T-Rex problem in Oklahoma, all though that could change.

I would imagine though the .500 would be a great implement for those that hunt or need it to protect themselves from bears, There are those that hunt bear with .357 mag, however I would think that would be a little light.
"Carrying on my hip" was not meant to be interpreted as carrying for hunting, not in a CCW scenario.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to thread drift and correct me if I'm wrong, but since previously mentioned, am I wrong in assuming as per SDA, some .45 calibers are illegal??? I'm thinking until size .46 is reached they are .45 cal. and therefore allowed. And per SDA, anything exceeding .45 is too big but what about constitutional carry, are there maximum caliber restrictions mentioned???
If in fact illegal, it would have to be a slow week around the cop shop for johnny law to pursue this. Same for prosecutor...

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to thread drift and correct me if I'm wrong, but since previously mentioned, am I wrong in assuming as per SDA, some .45 calibers are illegal??? I'm thinking until size .46 is reached they are .45 cal. and therefore allowed. And per SDA, anything exceeding .45 is too big but what about constitutional carry, are there maximum caliber restrictions mentioned???
If in fact illegal, it would have to be a slow week around the cop shop for johnny law to pursue this. Same for prosecutor...
You say that like cops and the law are meant to be for protecting and serving the citizens. Time and again this country has proven that to be "incorrect".