Anyone regularly drag race?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cougar Tulsa 92 pic.jpg
Used to run pretty regularly at Tulsa, with occasional trips to Thunder Valley and some of the Texas tracks. Still make it up to Mo-Kan once and a while, but not nearly as often as I used to.

Ricky Findley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old school was loud, smokey, and wild. What made it so darn fun was we built a lot of "grenade motors". Something was always popping, flaming, or scattering parts at the lights or the traps! Everything was experimenting and few had the $$$ to do it right. Remember scatter shields and tranny blankets? Remember safety chaining intake manifolds?
Wow chaining maifolds? Seriously?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first taste of the disease was at OCIR in California.
Big Funnycar drag racing and the drivers put on a great show.
There was a bit of time between runs and there was a ball cage like you see at wal-mart full of balls to play with right in the staging lanes near the starting line.
Kids were welcomed to go out there and get a ball and keep it or play with it and toss it back in the basket between runs.

Fun times. I was a kid then.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to TNT at TRP last Friday night. Ran a best of 13.76 in my 2010 charger 5.7 hemi. Not bad for a retired O.H.P. car with 125k on it.
Mods are:
90mm BBK T.B.
K&N C.A.I.
BBK ceramic coated headers
Flowmaster outlaw exhaust system
Diablo 91 octane tune.

I was running 13.90 with the 91 tune, switched to the 93 tune and then got into 13.80s, last pass of the night 13.76. I need some drag radials, bad. And maybe some rear suspension goodies.

I did cut a -.002 light one pass. I know that's going red but that's close to perfect. Did a couple .045-.050s

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, seriously. We didn't just play with mechanical parts, it is amazing what "fuel blends" will do. There is a picture somewhere around of a Pro Stock coming apart at the Mile High Nationals at Bandamir Speedway in Colorado and you can clearly see the intake and carbs about 7' over the hole the hood used to cover, it is also flying. The intake landed in the third row in the stands. After that there were rules about safety straps and chains.

Latest posts

Top Bottom