Anyone remember old Tulsa restaurant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Three on One was my favorite. But the Richboy (served hot), the Turkey 2, Reuben, and Polski Triple Decker were all amazing.

When I was in college some loooong time ago, I would crave it coming home on the weekends. My dad and I would go in and order the sandwiches for take out, and also a couple of ice-cold Budweiser long necks to share while we waited on the order. Fond memories with the old man.
Yep, I loved the ham cheese and tomato and the Reuben..........

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Helmut's Alpine Kitchen, one by Utica Square and the other by the Remington building at I44 and Sheridan. Open all night and the biggest, best omelettes ever.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Helmut's Alpine Kitchen, one by Utica Square and the other by the Remington building at I44 and Sheridan. Open all night and the biggest, best omelettes ever.

Just this short description makes me sorry I didn't get to experience that place. I was only an occasional Tulsa visitor until taking a job here in 2007.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arthur Treacher's were all over town. They all were turned into Egg Roll Express's when Treacher's went broke.
Used to eat at the one at 31st and yale a couple times a week.

Ike's chili was nice at 6th and Boston. Ate there about 2-3 times a week going to Central High school.
New place on 11th and Rockford not so much.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't experience this place until late in their existence and I didn't find it to live up to the fond memories of long-time Tulsans. Another for the list of "Places I Wish I'd Gone to Back in the Day."

I have to agree on Diamond Jacks, the original was great, but after they made their first location move it was never the same, the second was even worse. I have noticed several other restaurant had the same problem after they moved. Also some that opened up a second location never seemed to be as good as the "original." Might just be me.

First pizza I ever had and actually ever heard of was across the street from the Wonderbread bakery on 11th street. Pizza Cave or Cove if I remember. I have to agree MiPie was the all time best, but spent some time in Shotgun Sams for sure.

I do not think anyone has mentioned Griff's hamburgers on 21st street just west of Sheridan, pre McDonalds in the early to mid '60s. $.25 burgers, $.15 fries. Tuesday after 5 was $.10 night. My first real job, flipping burgers. Ha Ha A frame building is still there as a car lot office.

OP, thanks for the memories.

Keith Patton

New to the site!
Reaction score
Since our Fearless Leader, Mr. JB brought up the Stables lounge, that made me thing of the Stables and the Stables Lounge 2nd edition. JB did not depict whether he was referring to the world known Stables Lounge Rock and Roll Joint or the Stables lounge, world known strip joint. Because I am an old guy, I started thinking about both and they started to merge together with Ron's Playgirl lounge, the Keg on 11th street, and the joint I can not remember the name of at 4th and Memorial, P J's Club at 41 and Peoria, and the Brass Rail where a friend took me into and a lady dancer by the name of Patti Ann caused me to drink my first beer. Damn that has cost me a lot of money as I am sitting here and sipping on my 9th beer of the evening. She did know what was good for me.

This post and thoughts brought up things from 40 years ago in my mind of Tulsa night spots of things I had totally forgotten about.

I know the OP of this thread was relating to the uniqueness of the phone ordering system at Ma Bells to order your food which I have done, and I do not want to take away from that uniqueness, however --- --- Here is a old memory that will be unique to the ones that had ever seen it, you will know.

In the early days before strip joints they were basically called Go-Go joints. The ladies danced with very skimpy costumes but there were small spots that had to be covered, no differential in color was allowed, so depending on the individual lady, it depicted how she was formed, that depicted how big the covering had to be. The cover could protrude, but all had to be one color, and usually had tassels. Some lady's were very adapt at putting on a show with them, twirling in unique directions with the music.

My question is does anyone here remember this? If you ever saw it, you will remember.

There was a joint on North Sheridan called The Brass Rail. There was a lady there that took a different approach to "keeping covered". She used a bed sheet.

During a whole set of songs she could flip it up, down sideways, in, out, everything to the music dragging over her stuff making impressions very visible (not illegal as long as was "covered")
She really put on a show, without showing you anything, but you wanted to see more and you would sit and drink waiting for her turn to come around again just in case of a malfunction. It never happened while I was watching.

Were any of you there?

I was a regular more or less at The Stables from 1980 until I moved to Houston in 1991. Sixteen years later after a divorce I was in town setting up my daughter's sweet 16 party near down town. I knew the Stables was closed so headed to Cloud 9 to kill time and surprise! The old owner of the Stables was there. I can't remember her name but I sat at the bar and we reminisced. She recalled me and I here and she updated me on several of the regular retinue of dancers...the Osage gal who wore mukluk moccasins when she danced and liked to "whistle". There was another talk drink of water, one of the headliners who the owner had purchased a set of upgrades for her. She was married living off Peoria not too far from the Old Place One on Riverside where the amusement park now sits. I ran into her at the grocery store with her daughter after having put a lot of my hard earned money on the stage for her. Presumably some of it was going to purchase her groceries for her little girl. After the Stables closed I ran into her at several of the North and East Tulsa clubs.
I looked the place up and it has been replaced by a bank. Presumably the construction of Wright Elementary and Jr. High across 45 Place was the reason the city closed it down.

Ah the good old days when we were young.

Latest posts

Top Bottom