Anyone remember old Tulsa restaurant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't realize the date of this thread and seen a redmax post and thought WTH..

I don't remember if I posted this or not, but I remember Molly Murphy's. I remember ice in the urinals and cut up naked girl pics on the walls.. Good times as a teenager. My parents had to wonder why I went to the bathroom multiple times during dinner..

Did they make you take the "potty train" around the dining room? That place was a lot of fun, and the Long Island Tea's were epic.
We were at the on in OKC, when a guy having three of the tea's belly flopped the salad bar.
I gave him a 10 score!

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember Cotton's very well.. I was the overnite cook on Saturday nights for about a year back in the early 90's.. Still remember hand breading the onion rings and hand cutting the fries.. I also remember the two eggs, bacon, hash browns and a biscuit for 2.99.. I hated that special when the bar let out next door..

I can remember going there back in the '60s, and to the barbershop just to the east of it. Now I really feel old......

Stoneman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember going there back in the '60s, and to the barbershop just to the east of it. Now I really feel old......

You mentioned the original Pennington's. Onion rings to die for. I was a member of the Tulsa Corvette Club in the 70’s and Pennington's was part of every meeting.

Stoneman. deNAM. 67/68

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Did they make you take the "potty train" around the dining room? That place was a lot of fun, and the Long Island Tea's were epic.
We were at the on in OKC, when a guy having three of the tea's belly flopped the salad bar.
I gave him a 10 score!

Yep, did the potty train many times. My mom really liked the Long Island Tea. It's sad an establishment like that would not be able to open in today's environment.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, did the potty train many times. My mom really liked the Long Island Tea. It's sad an establishment like that would not be able to open in today's environment.

Actually they had to close if I remember right.
There were some accounting inaccuracy's in customer bills that had too many of the "tea's". I've included a post and a link to the whole reason why they went down. The "incident" was one of many I'm talking about.

Only 13 pages of the book (Chapter Two: “Success!”) cover the fun times at the restaurant, and half of that chapter delves into the house the Tayars had built in Nichols Hills and the parties they held there. By the time readers reach chapter three (“Losin’ It”) the Tayars are already losing money hand over fist due to failed restaurants, wild spending habits and too many hands in the accounting pot. The restaurant was already in a nosedive when sales took another blow due to the April 19th, 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City. And then there was “The Incident” - an altercation with a local news reporter that put the final nail in the restaurant’s coffin and led to an almost decade-long court battle.

http://www.robohara.com/?p=1649

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember Ma Bells, I only ate there once but the ordering by phone thing was something I never forgot. Had a lot of crazy times in and around Tulsa...most are best left unmentioned lol. Now I want an Orange Julius, a couple hours at the arcade at Woodlands hill mall then dinner at Casa Bonita which, before it went to hell, was awesome! It's so sad that stuff is gone now :(

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roscopcoletrane, welcome to the forum. undiablo, yeah I remember those places, put lots of food down at Franks's , Shotgun Sam's and Casa Bonita back in the day. Did some gun trading at Looboyle's. I've never lived in Tulsa, but been there many times since the 60s. Remember going to Honest Johns to buy some concert tickets?

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. I really wish I had known about the OKC location before it closed. I was only familiar with the Tulsa location and it closed well before the OKC location..

Speaking of Casa Bonita, I was watching an episode of Trip Flip on the travel channel and last week, they were in Denver Colorado and the host took them to a Casa Bonita. When they walked inside it was exactly like it was when they first opened here. They even had the guy diving into the water in the Waterfall room. I could actually taste the sopapilla the lady was eating... Lol

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you remember a drive-in at 11th and yorktown on the south side.
I think it was called the covered wagon or chuck wagon's.
they bulldozed it for more used car lot spaces around 1975
they had great onion rings and fries that came in a large shoe box sized box for like 75 cents.

Shakey's pizza at 37th and peoria where best electric and hardware is now.
Got my first motorcycle at Smokey's Honda at about 34th and peoria @1968.

Latest posts

Top Bottom