Anyone remember old Tulsa restaurant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You my friend are a true Tulsan! My mom worked at Kips,

Remember when the big plastic Big Boy figure got stolen for a school prank? or the signs and stairs leading to the fall out shelter under Oertle's?

I was a Tulsan but had to give it up, I grew up in the home my dad and brother(may you both rip) built themselves,(59-60). My dad salvaged old houses for materials in the evenings to build it,(worked at American Airlines during the day).
Anybody remember the "Big Field" that's now the Post Office at 21st.& 91st. E. AVE.? That was my playground growing up. If you rode cycles on one of the tracks there or used one of the "forts" there I helped make them.

Anybody remember Rockwell Park(South side of I-44) before it was redone for the flood control? or the "woods" on the North side of 21st.(behind Southerlands).
I vaguely remember going through the "mansion" that later became "scream in the dark" shortly after it was abandonded when many of the windows were still in it and it hadn't been completely trashed.
How about the original Sears building at 21st.&Yale? When my kids were young I took them to watch it come down.

My oldest sister(may she rot for what she did to my mother) was in Nathan Hale's first graduating class, the rest of us 6 kids went there also, my son went there and both my kids went to Skelly(31st.&90th E. AVE) where I went to Jr.high.

The old HighWay Patrol Station at 31st&Memorial?
The "County Store" on 11th. just West of Memorial?
Peoria being called the "Restless Ribbon"?
Linda Soundtrack?
The mall at 11th.& Sheridan with the parking on the roof?

Farther East, anybody remember the original KVOO station by Harvey Young Airstrip?
The old water station at 193rd. & Lynn Lane? The old mall that sat unfinished for years at 21st.& 145th.?

I'm gone now but if my one true friend last longer than me he'll sneak me and my mother's(if it hasn't already been done) ashes in and scatter them in the yard at the old house and we'll be home again.

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you remember The Stables in Tulsa?

Oh how I remember the stables. Probably the most memorable part of my visits there was getting to meet Moe, Larry and Curly. Those who frequented the stables will remember this inside joke. I spent many a night there, in the 1980's, enjoying the sights. I was largely responsible for them agreeing to accept credit cards. I was a sales manager for a very successful, Tulsa based, international corporation/group. Most all of our international customers that visited Tulsa were "entertained" there. We kept running out of cash when we visited and wound up leaving early and going somewhere else. Our customers wanted to stay. One night I got with the manager, sold him on the idea of what he was losing by not accepting our company credit cards. Within 5 days he had set it up and that night we must have spent over $275 (a lot of money at a beer bar in the 80's) entertaining a group of customers from Japan. Thanks for bringing the stables up, I had a lot of amusing stories come from there.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gillman That is awesome.

Do you guys remember Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips?

I remember that place, everyone has told me there never has been one in Oklahoma so I was starting to think maybe it was one I was remembering from a different state. I loved that place...iirc it looked like a sailing ship.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to just go back in time for a couple of days (of course, I'd waste it buying Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Apple and other stocks and putting them in my name....ha ha)

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Pie Pizza comment

I took a vacation to Cancun in about 1992 or so, got to talking with the bartender who actually owned a pizza joint there. His philosophy was that the people who drink the drinks are going to tell you what they think of the pizza and the waiters, easiest way to stay on top of his business.

He had been in Tulsa going to Spartan for flight training and washed out, did not like to fly at all. He told me he started My Pie Pizza and ran it until they made him leave the country. (They used to do that) Interesting guy.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh how I remember the stables. Thanks for bringing the stables up, I had a lot of amusing stories come from there.

Thanks for bringing the Stables Lounge up again. SHAZAM Was I really there? I am older than you for sure, but if you were there you might relate to this part. I remember a few nights with Pattie Ann after she had started her first job dancing at the Brass Rail. she was fun, but not a lifestyle for me. I am glad she was able to put the successful business deal together and re-open the Stables Lounge as a Gentleman's Club version. It was a world wide known place in Tulsa Oklahoma, Again

Before that, the Stables Lounge originally was a hole in the wall "real" rock and roll joint in the early 70's. Sunday evening at 5pm pay $2 to get in the door and drink all the free beer you could for an hour. 6PM start paying for your beer for an hour, think it was 25 cents/ draw. 7PM free beer another hour when the band started. They usually had a good bands. I say "hole in the wall bar" tongue in cheek, because I have been there on a Friday or Sat night when a few special people have came in the door to "sit in" with what ever band happened to be playing. People like Clapton, Russell, A. Franklin, Joe Joe Gunn, Joe Cocker, and some others. A real Joint to have fun in. It was known world wide two times for two different types of entertainment as I found out talking with the wife of a business associate at a meeting in Boston one time. I had to define the rock and roll version vs the other version.

Now that the place is gone, I guess I can admit that I am the person that put the 120 ft black mark up the sidewalk toward the East ( Away from where the Vapors Lounge was before it had a mysterious fire) with my H2 72 Kawasaki one evening as I was leaving. I was by there a few years back at the paint store before they tore the whole building down, went around the corner and the concrete still had a polished stripe from that, what 30 Years later. Those were the good old days. I still have a Budwiser Pool table light that Ron's Playgirl lounge on Sheridan tossed out the door one night when the lamp burnt out and I loaded it up in my car and took it home. I have it over my shop bench in the garage. Yes those were the good old days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom