Anyone remember old Tulsa restaurant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember Ma Bell's. (on Admiral), the Stables, how about Player's? Rough once in a while. The G-strings and pasties bring back memories for sure. Back in the day, the DJ at The Red Carpet on 15th would have a lookout check to see "what the weather was" out side. If it was clear, the dancer would take it all off on the third song....
Liquor by the drink? Someone mentioned the Kip's Big Boy getting hauled off...the signs and stuff all made it to Nathan Hale High - that was a senior prank. I was a junior then.

dkloya

New to the site!
Reaction score
This message is for jb books. I was gooling "the stables lounge" and ran across this sight and your post. I have many questions regarding a man that may have ran this club during this time. His name was john bekin....do you know of him?

cbroden

New to the site!
Reaction score
it's been a while, but does anyone remember the restaurant in Tulsa called "Ma Bells"?
was having a discussion here and I seem to remember that before it became "Ma Bells" it was named "Across the street" or something like that. I'm trying to remember the previous name.
location was just east of sheridan on the south side of admiral I think... been a while since I've been in the area, might have the location completely wrong.

ck
Ma Bells was on Admiral by Sheridan. It was owned by the same guy that owned Across the Street on Harvard and S&J Oyster. I worked there in 1978-1979. The manager was Mike and the assistant manager was Hovie. Pick up the phone and order at the table, the light lit up when the order was ready to pick up. Big business in that area then, mostly blue collar with money. That was before veggie oil. We had to carry buckets with vinegar rags to cut the grease off of the tables after they were cleared. Another time for sure.

Triplebeemtulsa

New to the site!
Reaction score
My Pie Pizza comment

I took a vacation to Cancun in about 1992 or so, got to talking with the bartender who actually owned a pizza joint there. His philosophy was that the people who drink the drinks are going to tell you what they think of the pizza and the waiters, easiest way to stay on top of his business.

He had been in Tulsa going to Spartan for flight training and washed out, did not like to fly at all. He told me he started My Pie Pizza and ran it until they made him leave the country. (They used to do that) Interesting guy.
I'm 50y.o. & lived in Tulsa all my life. When I was under 10, there was a pizza restaurant my folks liked called My Pi( the symbol for the mathematical pi) I remember they had really deep dish pies with kinda soupy, watery sauce. And I loved it! My little brother hated it! It dissapeared before I was driving & I missed it. Since I've been grown, the closest tasting pizza to their's came from Menomonee, Wisc, damn, it was good tasting pizza! I dont know what style pie it was but wis is pretty close to Chicago!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 50y.o. & lived in Tulsa all my life. When I was under 10, there was a pizza restaurant my folks liked called My Pi( the symbol for the mathematical pi) I remember they had really deep dish pies with kinda soupy, watery sauce. And I loved it! My little brother hated it! It dissapeared before I was driving & I missed it. Since I've been grown, the closest tasting pizza to their's came from Menomonee, Wisc, damn, it was good tasting pizza! I dont know what style pie it was but wis is pretty close to Chicago!
Welcome to OSA!

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips had a store in downtown Tulsa back in the 1970's, I ate lunch there often.

Wife's rich aunt used to take us to the Louisiane Restaurant south of downtown. We also liked Sleepy Hollow Restaurant. Denver Grill and Kirk's downtown was good.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great pizza!
Loved the Bose 901 speakers and Hi-Fi.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Diamond Jacks.....who’s with me ???

Three on One was my favorite. But the Richboy (served hot), the Turkey 2, Reuben, and Polski Triple Decker were all amazing.

When I was in college some loooong time ago, I would crave it coming home on the weekends. My dad and I would go in and order the sandwiches for take out, and also a couple of ice-cold Budweiser long necks to share while we waited on the order. Fond memories with the old man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom