Anyone running the Apex hard sear in their M&P?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerotonothing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm completely new to the M&P line of pistols (as alot of you know I'm a Glocker tried and true); just recently picked up an M&P9 in a trade. I've gotta admit the M&P trigger is just as undesirable as the stock Glock trigger. Well I've done many, many trigger jobs on Glocks, but have yet to remotely think about opening up the sear housing on my M&P and start tinkering.

Nonetheless; I was searching trigger jobs tonight and ran across a link to apextactical.com. This company offers what they call an Apex hard sear; which is supposed to take your typical stock M&P trigger (5.5-6lbs) and reduce it to about 4.5lbs (similar to that of a Glock when 3.5lb connector and polish job are done), as well as reduce overtravel and reset. I then did some research on mp-pistol.com and found that alot of people are very pleased with this product. Definitely sparked my interest.

Anyone on the board running one of these Apex hard sears?

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keyser328 put one in his M&P Pro this week and had it out at the IDPA match on saturday. I was really impressed with it, and im a Glock guy too...

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you want a great trigger job send it to Olyeller. It will be awesome when you get it back. If you are ever in the Tulsa area and want to try out his work just hit me up. It is worth every penny!

I'm completely new to the M&P line of pistols (as alot of you know I'm a Glocker tried and true); just recently picked up an M&P9 in a trade. I've gotta admit the M&P trigger is just as undesirable as the stock Glock trigger. Well I've done many, many trigger jobs on Glocks, but have yet to remotely think about opening up the sear housing on my M&P and start tinkering.

Nonetheless; I was searching trigger jobs tonight and ran across a link to apextactical.com. This company offers what they call an Apex hard sear; which is supposed to take your typical stock M&P trigger (5.5-6lbs) and reduce it to about 4.5lbs (similar to that of a Glock when 3.5lb connector and polish job are done), as well as reduce overtravel and reset. I then did some research on mp-pistol.com and found that alot of people are very pleased with this product. Definitely sparked my interest.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I have one. I love it, personally. Mind you, I put the hard sear and the striker block safety both into my Pro. If you plan to do one, do both.

As for feel? It great, in truth. Compared to Roar's hand crafted trigger job on his G21, I think my drop in parts are probably lighter, and equally as smooth. With a bit of polishing, it could be even smoother.

If you check out Burwell's PDF doc on doing the trigger job on the M&Ps, the drop in parts are very close to the same thing. The sear is already reshaped, and the plunger is already smoothed. I do recommend the Apex plunger, since it's also polished. Beyond that, I very lightly rolled a fine file across the trigger bar to make sure it didn't have any edges on it. The striker safety is depressed in stage one of the pull, and it's all but undetectable. I actually expect it will get smoother with time as all the parts break in.

About the only thing I could do is tweak the bar a bit and shorten the trigger pull as a whole, but in truth, it doesn't bother me, the second stage and sear release are damn near what my single action Smith is running, which makes me all grins.

Nothing against the resident gunsmiths here, but the work was cake to do, and if I ever had to send the pistol back to S&W for work, I can put the factory gear back in it within 10 minutes. For me, it has been an inexpensive and extremely effective upgrade for my pistol, plus it has taught me a lot about how the weapon itself works.

I've been at the last few matches and I'll be at more (March USSA is questionable, I'm gonna try to make it, even if I'm late) if anyone whats to put a few rounds through it. I'm currently sporting a long (or overgrown if you ask the misses) red and blonde goatee so I'm fairly easy to spot. Names Kevin, feel free to say hi. (-:

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've got two M&P's with Olyeller trigger job's if you ever want to check one out... Give me shout and we can hook this up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom