Anyone Switch From Cox to ATT Internet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are lucky. If we get 12 megs of download speed, we consider ourselves lucky. Part of country living.
My AT&T hotspot on the phone only lasts about three days before it reaches the limit in the RV, but we have it on 4 devices so there is 12 days.
We mostly use our Dish antenna when out on the road if not covered up in trees to block the sat signal.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are so many variables it boggles the mind. I live in a suburb of KC and work for one of the biggest of these, like that matters, but because I'm on a down slope of a hill my cell coverage sucks. Doesn't matter who it is (had 'em all at one point) because they are all on the same tower. But you can complain to any of them and should give you a small cell in your house that works off the internet. As far as internet...we have Uverse and have had the local equivalent to Cox, Comcast. Comcast severely sucks by comparison. But it's because we have an AT&T DSlam just a few houses away that is fed by fiber. Not so with Comcast. It just depends on where you are located and their build-out. KC was the first city to get Google Fiber but they are two miles away... still...from my house and they started like 7 years ago. They are only interested in building out "urban" areas because I'm sure that gets them the .gov money. Just figure out by your neighbors who works best for where you are.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KC was the first city to get Google Fiber but they are two miles away... still...from my house and they started like 7 years ago. They are only interested in building out "urban" areas because I'm sure that gets them the .gov money. Just figure out by your neighbors who works best for where you are.
From what I recall, Google Fiber isn't dead, but it isn't expanding. If you gots it, you gots it, otherwise, you're SOL.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
President Donald Trump said the US government won't build a nationalized wholesale 5G network, but it's promising more spectrum and a new fund to ensure the country's dominance in the next-generation wireless technology.

"In the United States, our approach is private sector-driven and private sector-led," he said at a press conference Friday announcing his administration's plans to advance 5G deployment.

"As you probably heard, we had another alternative of doing it that would be through government investment and leading through the government," he continued. "We don't want to do that because it won't be nearly as good, nearly as fast."

The notion of the government's potential involvement in building the network surfaced in January 2018 when White House plans for the idea leaked out. Several officials, including FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, who was appointed chairman by Trump, and Trump economic advisor Larry Kudlow, have opposed the idea. But others, such as former Republican Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and Trump's 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale, have reportedly favored more government involvement.

CTIA, the wireless industry's lobbying group, said it was about time the speculation around a government-funded 5G network was put to rest.

"Today's statement by the president puts an end -- once and for all -- to any misguided notions of nationalizing spectrum resources or government-mandated wholesale 5G markets," CTIA president and CEO Meredith Attwell Baker said in a statement. "We agree with the administration and the FCC that bringing next-generation wireless networks to more Americans is critical."

https://www.cnet.com/news/white-hou...and-20b-fund-for-rural-broadband-says-report/

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They both suck. I hope this 5g thing works out and there's some competition. Cox and ATT is a duopoly and both lousy and expensive.
Citywide wifi would be nice and free if you could get city to do it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They both suck. I hope this 5g thing works out and there's some competition. Cox and ATT is a duopoly and both lousy and expensive.
Citywide wifi would be nice and free if you could get city to do it.
We have city wide Wi-Fi in Ponca but it requires a booster to work. It's pretty weak, but the city is putting in fiber optics all over town now, so they are promising a much better system. Sadly, it won't reach out into the rural areas where we live.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could help with everything Cox related, but pricing and billing is out of my scope. Tech related issues, I can help with. Honestly though, if I didn't work for Cox I wouldn't have any tv service except over the air and some streaming services. I agree that the internet is pretty pricey, but in their defense they have gone through and made a lot of improvements (the last 5 years have seen dramatic speed increases including gigabit over coax). Doesn't help when it comes to the wallet though, I know.

As far as Windstream, run, continue running. Go to dslreports.com and look up their forums. They have pretty much every provider there and in Windstream's section no one gives them good reviews. I've not looked into AT&T's fiber prices, but I know they are aggressively deploying it to compete with Cox's speed.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One would have to do the research, but if one is near a Verizon cell tower, they have what they call a MiFi Jetpack that works with data. While we have a plan that lets us have unlimited data, after 15 gig, we get throttled back. What that means is that I can't upload photos with the MiFi, but the rest of the time, we get pretty good service, but possibly not enough for streaming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom