1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone tried the CLEO signoff in Tulsa Co now that Glanz is out? And other questions.

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by mouthpiece, Mar 3, 2016.

1. mouthpiece

mouthpiece Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just wondering.
    2, if one is denied a form 4 application by CLEO, what would the next step be?
    3, silencer/suppressor isn't even on the form 4 so why are we asking for permission?
    4, if one doesn't use a trust, how would one designate heirs to a stamp collection, through a will?
    5, tell me everything yo know about suppressors.
    I want a multi caliber suppressor that works with 5.56, 7.62X39 and 7.62X51, possible?
    What happens if you have a baffle strike or damage, buy a new one?

Thanks, have a day!!

2. gfercaks33

gfercaks33 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    In my limited research, you can buy some suppressors you can rebuild so you keep the tube but nothing else incase of damage.

3. Gabriel42

Gabriel42 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    1. No, don't live in Tulsa Co. You should consider using a trust for various reasons but notable are the ability for other trustees to possess them in your absence and a seamless passing of ownership (control of the trust) vs having your family need to complete a Form 5.

2. If sheriff won't sign off you can try your chief of police, district court judge, District Attorney, and a few others.

3. Suppressors are transferred dealer to dealer on a Form 3 or created by a non-SOT on a Form 3 but are transferred on a Form 4.

4. Through a will or the default probate process if no will is present. Items will transfer on a Form 5 tax-free; not sure if you submit the Form 5 and keep that until you sell it or if you submit the Form 5 and they send you an approved Form 4.

5. Google or ask a more specific question.

6. If you are looking for just rifle calibers then you should look into getting a .30 cal suppressor and that will work for all of the calibers you listed. You will need to either ensure they all have the same thread pitch for a direct thread or find a quick detach system that offers muzzle devices in the proper thread pitch.

7. Baffle or endcap strikes that do not damage the serial number can often be repaired. Some manufacturers have great warranty process and will do what they can to keep you from being SOL; SilencerCo will even fix stupid for free once. If it can't be fixed and a manufacturer replaces it under warranty then you are generally only on the hook for the cost of the replacement stamp. You can thank Gemtech for the inability of manufacturers to recreate the same suppressor with the same serial number.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

4. Jack T.

Jack T. Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I *thought* they only had 15 days, by law now, to sign off on your paperwork. . .? Something in the back of my mind says that was passed last legislative session.

5. gfercaks33

gfercaks33 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Can you explain this.

Sorry to derail the thread.

6. mouthpiece

mouthpiece Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Your fine, I don't mind at all.

7. Gabriel42

Gabriel42 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Standard practice was to replace outer tubes, Gemtech wrote a letter asking a stupid question, ATF reinterpreted a ruling, no more replacing tubes with exact copies thus necessitating another $200 = Gemtax

8. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Didn't Bushmaster get their hands smacked for that too? IIRC when early full auto Bushmaster registered receivers broke, the owner could send it back and Bushmaster would just put the same serial number on a new receiver and send it back. BATFE found out about it and that was the end of that.

9. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I believe it was Olympic Arms that was doing that.

10. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    On #3 above I think you meant to put "created by a non-SOT on a Form 1".

As for #4, you do get the approved Form 5 back as your registration paperwork. No stamp is attached because you did not pay a tax. I know a widow lady who has approved Form 5's for her deceased husband's suppressors. If you want to sell it, you then do a Form 4 to the new owner.