Anyone Try German Birerocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The neighbor lady brought over some Birerocks "sandwiches" that she made and they were absolutely delicious! The are made from ground beef, cabbage, onions and a bit of garlic and you put the mixture in a dough or Rhodes roll and you have. meal! She got us to making them and we did exactly that stuck some in our freezer for hard times.
We bought a side of beef, the freezer is full but a lot is ground beef. Cows aren't all steak and prime rib roasts.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mom makes them occasionally. She makes a bunch and freezes them. In fact, I'm warming one up in the air fryer right now. :hey3:

Here's a tip. Under cook the bread ever so slightly if you are going to freeze them. That way when you reheat them they don't end up over cooked.
I throw one in the fridge to thaw the day before. Then to heat, I pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds to get the middle started heating then in the air fryer for 9 minutes @ 360. Comes out perfect like it was just out of the oven.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little butter and salt on top and here it is all ready to eat. (I cut it in half just to make it all fancy looking.)

20220526_143938.jpg

Beef and cabbage are the base and you can add whatever veggies you desire. Potatoes, peas and carrots work really well.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody looking for recipes online will have better success with a correct spelling: bierocks.

Another way to search is to use the name of the Nebraska-based chain restaurant that features this style of sandwich: Runza.

Good cooking and good eating...Enjoy!

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was introduced to them in elementary school. Back in the 70's when schools still made food from scratch, the ladies would cook from family recipes. Luckily there was plenty of German heritage in the area so bierocks were on the school menu every few weeks. Absolutely love them! Fastfood chain Runza in the Kansas/Nebraska/Iowa area sell something similar, but not as good as the cooks from school.

Latest posts

Top Bottom