Anyone Try German Birerocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The neighbor lady brought over some Birerocks "sandwiches" that she made and they were absolutely delicious! The are made from ground beef, cabbage, onions and a bit of garlic and you put the mixture in a dough or Rhodes roll and you have. meal! She got us to making them and we did exactly that stuck some in our freezer for hard times.
We bought a side of beef, the freezer is full but a lot is ground beef. Cows aren't all steak and prime rib roasts.

My great grandmother, a German immigrant, taught use how to make them. All of us kids would spend hours in the kitchen watching her cook. Cause there wasn‘t a lot more to do in Shattuck when the swimming pool wasn’t open. I’ve made thousands of them since for family and friends.

Roqthecasbah

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The neighbor lady brought over some Birerocks "sandwiches" that she made and they were absolutely delicious! The are made from ground beef, cabbage, onions and a bit of garlic and you put the mixture in a dough or Rhodes roll and you have. meal! She got us to making them and we did exactly that stuck some in our freezer for hard times.
We bought a side of beef, the freezer is full but a lot is ground beef. Cows aren't all steak and prime rib roasts.
My grandmother made these when I was growing up. She used her grandmother's recipe, who was German/Czech, well before Rhodes. My wife and I make them from time to time with Rhodes and while they will never be what Grandma's where, they're pretty tasty.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the cafe in Corn used to make them.
They sound a lot like Lazy Dazys
And if I remember right, there used to be one heck of a ground hog day supper there too. About 60 yrs ago. Oh man, was the kraut and potatoes good. Thanks for a trip down memory lane. Good night I’m starving now!!!!

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if I remember right, there used to be one heck of a ground hog day supper there too. About 60 yrs ago. Oh man, was the kraut and potatoes good. Thanks for a trip down memory lane. Good night I’m starving now!!!!
The pork was always great. I really liked the potato soup. But everything was good.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But one recipe calls for
1 (3 pound) package frozen white bread dough
I've never seen frozen bread dough in the grocery store, is it any good?

And I agree with the suggestion above, using half ground beef and half ground sausage sounds good.
Adding chopped onion and garlic as well as cabbage would be good too.

%$^&*)(&%#$# spell check kept wanting to help me with the r-u-n-z-a (wanted to use "runs" instead).
This is the recipe we use, albeit slightly modified by my chef/wife.

I'll get a pic of the bread dough but I'm 80% sure we get it at mustang Walmart. We only use it for runzas.

Also, we don't buy 100% ground beef anymore. We use 50% beef 50% pork blend sold at *some* Walmarts, packaged by Tyson.
We go to Chickasha or Weatherford once every 2-3 weeks to buy 10ish pounds of it.
Screenshot_20220531-202014.png
image000000 (1)_1_1.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom