Anyone use micro-length fishing rods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Background Info
My daughter is at the age where we've started fishing with a short kids princess rod (about 2.5ft long if I was guessing). I sort of like the ease of handling it just for perch fishing and hauling it to the pond.

I have another old short rod about the same length that I have taken as a spare or for me to use to fish with her. It is from the 70's or 80's and seems to be meant as a compact dock rod or something and not a kids rod. I usually also take a longer rod (5-6ft depending) for me to use as my primary rod while she fished the kid's rod. However, there was a time or two I had to use the backup short rod and was thinking to myself for this type of fishing, and the ease of travel, why even take a longer rod? Of course if I am on a boat in open water bass fishing, then I'll use a 6.6ft bait caster, but for neighborhood pond fishing with worms or small lures, why do I ever even need to get out a longer fishing rod?

The Questions/Additional Info & a New Purchase

Is there any reason for me not to use one of these micro rods for any type of fishing that they work fine for (such as when I don't need to cast real far or use heavier lb/test line?

Since I gained a new infatuation with how "cool" and compact these micro rods are, I decided to go take a look at new spin-cast reels to replace the aging junkie one on my older micro rod. HOWEVER, I soon discovered they still make these "adult" micro rods and there are some pretty cool options. I went ahead and got a new reel for my old micro rod, but I also couldn't help but pickup a Zebco DOCK DEMON spinning rod/reel combo. It is also about 2.5ft long if I was guessing and supposed to be very durable for the money. I figured I can just take my old medium action micro rod w/ new reel as the bobber & worm pole (same as how I setup the kid to fish), and then I can also easily haul the dock demon with a small lure in the wagon to the pond so I can do some lure casting in between tending to the bobber rigs.

But the plot thickens, because I also have a 2-man boat and if back in a creek or confined space one of these would work real well for flippin' I think if casting close to structure or the bank.

Other than when I NEED to cast farther, AND/OR need to use 10lb line or more, why would I want to use anything but a micro? I'm making this long but I want to appraoch this intellectually and hear from others who may have discovered these little rods do not just come in pink and just for kids :)

The spin-cast micro rods can handle 10lb line so the heavier one with the medium action I could even use for channel cat and save the hassle of hauling the longer rods around and on the 2-man? They make these as short as 2ft!! Although those I looked at in the store that were only 2ft were super flimsy and the dock demon was a tad longer and seemed more durable so that's why I picked it. Zebco makes it in both spin cast and spinning versions as well as some other competitor models I saw in spin cast only.

The Single Most Important Question
(for those who don't have the patience to read a novel LOL)

Are these little micro-length rods really the "better mousetrap" except for open water and large fish?

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I each have one for you guessed it, dock fishing. They're real handy to keep in the trunk with a small tackle kit for those spur of the moment trips and those are some of the most fun! Mine's an older Pfleuger 4'6" that breaks down into four pieces, and has a case that also holds the tackle kit.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a fishing expert, but many years ago before taking up fly fishing, I used a micro spin cast reel for trout. Sure was a lot of fun.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one of those micro spin rods in college for dock fishing. Was short enough to put inside that cab of my truck. Handled 0-2lb stuff just fine. It might have been too light to tire out anything much larger than that, but it worked better than I thought it would when I bought it.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking about those rods that fit into a small plastic holder? The reel is separate? I bought several of those for the grandchildren for Christmas presents.
But, I have to add, when I was a kid they had a metal spring-like pole with a circular spring built in and it would cast farther than I'd want to fish. I used to use it to fly kites also. Only about 2.5" long but it was durable.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Popeil pocket fisherman for the win!

f71ab2f1-9dcf-411d-bb6c-75180270f76d_1.60780ed53d13bdafdc07fd47e3b28c9d.jpeg

Seriously, I have a 4 1/2' Browning Silaflex super ultra lite with a Shimano microcast spinning reel under the back seat in the pickup all the time with a small tackle box of jigs and miniature crankbaits for pond fishing. 4lb Fluorocarbon line. Caught some nice bass with it. Have to keep a light drag though.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love watching the kiddos not want the micro and fight over my high end poles. I'll use the micro and show them how it's done.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I keep one leaned in the corner of my console just in case I see some sandies surfacing. I can buzz over and have a line in the water faster.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man a lot of good responses. Let me first say I am aware of the telescopic "travel" rods; my dad always had one of those Daiwa ones in the black leather case he kept in his vehicle. I do wish I knew what happened to it. BUT, when I was mulling it over, and experimenting with some of the telescopic ones in the store, I decided it was too much trouble unless I was needing something I could fit in a suitcase. I like the idea of not having to assemble the thing to use it and these micros are small enough you could keep in the truck and carry on a backpack without the telescopic being necessary. But there are some really cool telescopics on the market none the less and I'm sure they serve their intended purposes.

Since I posted this thread, I've now been back and bought a closed-face spin-cast version of the dock demon for my wife to use. I also picked up an Ugly Stick "dock runner" which is a nicer slightly longer rig than the original zebco dock demon and has a cork handle, etc. This is becoming a "bug" like firearms only cheaper LOL. I am now also aware that Zebco makes a dock demon deluxe that is a direct competitor and size as the Ugly Stick dock runner. I can't find one locally but I may order one. Finally, I saw Shakespeare also makes a "flippin' stick" micro rod that I might also add to the collection. They are all basically cheap enough for me to try out and decide what I like best for what. I am not going to mess with them and change the line or reels right off the bat...I intend to use them in their stock form so-as to get an accurate comparison.

The interesting thing to note is the ONLY reason I began to wonder about this was the fact I was using the kids pole and the other older shorty I mentioned before. BUT when I went into walmart, the guy commented when I was checking out at how they used to not sell very well and now he sees a lot of people buying these micro poles...There are also multiple online video reviews that mention how they are becoming popular. From my brief analysis, it seems that some ice rods are micros and in about 2012, someone began using them for regular fishing and dock fishing and the dock demon was born, and others followed in the market.

Sounds like I may have accidentally stumbled into a new fad. But for the novice, especially fishing w/ kids, you can't say that 4-6lb line and a 3ft pole wouldn't do the job in most cases...I got tired of lugging the 6.5ft rods down to the pond for a couple hrs of fishing...now I have a whole new perspective (that I can't seem to stop talking about can you tell?). Thanks fellas, keep the info flowing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom