Anyone using Cox Internet Essential 50mbps service?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been paying nearly $200/mo for Cox TV + Cox 150mbps internet and think it's time to downgrade and stop paying them so much.

If I understand how it works, downgrading from 150mbps to 50mbps really just means my max download speed drops and everything else should remain the same, but wanted to check here in case anyone else has gone this route and experienced unforseen issues.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, your TV and internet are completely different. Dropping your internet speed won't affect your TV performance. As long as you don't have multiple users streaming video via the internet and/or have folks doing online gaming you should be fine with 50mbs.

I just cancelled Cox TV and kept our 150mbs internet service, added YoutubeTV and saved over $120 a month.

There are no other options for high speed internet where I live or I'd ditch Cox altogether. Their customer service is crap.

(Oh, and the picture quality on YoutubeTV is leaps and bounds better than Cox too)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Internet Preferred 150 with Cox as well as a home phone and it costs $109 per month. I need to get rid of the phone though, the only ones that call me on it are telemarketers and scammers. That will drop my cost to $82 per month. I desperately need to rid myself of Direct TV ($67 per month) and use Sling and that's another savings. Sometimes the little thngs add up/

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'll stay with the 150mbps internet but will drop TV for sure. It'll be nice to pay less than $100/mo to Cox for once.

The stations I can pick up on antenna aren't bad now that I'm old enough that the shows are ones I grew up with. And for everything else there's torrents or streaming online.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pay $71.99/month for 150mbps internet with modem rental (i have had bad luck with my personal modems) and their stupid contour box I don't even use. It was cheaper to have the contour box than just the internet.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cancelled Cox for ATT fiber and its been great. I prefer cox TV setup to ATT.

I have 1GB up and down, 300+ channels, all the movie channels (HBO Max, Cinemax, Stars, Encore) and pay around $180 a month. I call them and beat them up when my discounts expire. My sister uses her ROKU to log in and she has access to most of the ATT network.

If you can do fiber its worth it..

Yeah, ATT is spending billions to upgrade their Tulsa footprint to all fiber, its the only way they can compete with Cox on the internet side. The contractors they have working for them are either klutzes or paid saboteurs though, can't tell you how many of Cox's fiber and feeder lines they have damaged putting in ATT's fiber in Tulsa neighborhoods that are underground.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where I live they actually ran the cable on the utility lines. Don't know much about fiber other than the kevlar pull cables they use are strong as hell!

I have a buddy in BA that is itching for ATT fiber but they haven't decided to bring it out his way yet.

They won't, BA is under Windstream territory, though Windstream is doing the same thing and running fiber as well. Cox is also running fiber on new builds, but won't be doing it retroactively, at least FTTH. Once full duplex docsis 3.1 is put in place gig speeds for both up and down will be available over coax. They are doing build outs for node + 0, so a node will handle no more than 32-48 houses where FTTH isn't available.

Latest posts

Top Bottom