Anyone want to take on a new hunter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphillipw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, all! Firearms were commonplace in my home growing up, as well as a healthy respect for them and lots of safety talks and learning. Dad really wasn't a hunter, though, and I'm trying to find someone to go with. I'd like to pass it on to my boys.

I'd really like to find someone to take me with them this season. I don't even have to have trigger time (but I'd love to take a deer this season). I need experience gutting and cleaning, and what to do with the deer afterward.

I'm 33 y/o and have been around guns A LOT (built 2 ARs, and carry daily). Safety is a high concern of mine, and I don't joke around with firearms. My hunting experience consists of a church sponsored dove hunt and scouting around Heyburn Lake with a buddy for hogs.

If anyone is interested in having a protege to clean their kills and lug some of their gear for them, please respond here for PM me.

Thanks!!

Phillip

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finding a place to hunt nowadays isn't easy without owning land or spending $$ for a lease. There are several public hunting areas around that you may check out. As far as cleaning the deer, youtube has many videos. Not sure how old your boys are but I hope you get the opportunity to get them out hunting.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go with an experienced hunter. It's amazing what you can learn. YouTube is great to get ideas but need to have someone showing you the ropes and shortcuts.
Watch this.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a little far away to take you out and I don't hunt the northeast part of the state, but the best advice I can give you is don't spend too much money on buying gear. Camo, firearm/bow, a sharp knife, and a rope to drag the deer with are about all you really need. Snacks, water, and a flashlight if you're going to be in before surinse or leaving after sunset are nice to have.

Deer pick up on movement and scent more than anything else. Cheap camo, or even just earth-toned clothing, and being still will make you invisible enough to most deer. If you watch hunting shows/videos the only thing I would bother paying attention to is what types of areas deer like to hang out in. Find those areas on a piece of land near you, scout those areas, and sit still downwind of where you find the deer like to be.

As far as cleaning a deer: get the guts out (slice the belly open and pull/cut everything non-meat out), stop at the first place you see that sells ice, stuff a bag or two of ice in the chest cavity, and drive to a processor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom