Anyone with a lathe in Moore area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a barrel nut I need opened up to fit what is apparently an oversized barrel chamber OD.

I ordered a new Aero handguard for my Les Baer 6.5 Grendel AR. The barrel nut for the handguard, and apparently most barrel nut designs, are made to fit over 1” barrels at the chamber. This one is 1.05”.

I cannot find anything that specifies a different barrel nut design so I figure it’s worth a shot to bore out the barrel nut and see if I can make it work.

Does anyone in the Moore/Norman area have a lathe that could open up this barrel nut?

1E599472-CFDE-410E-B9C1-B7CB0018AB32.jpeg

049BAAF2-38A6-42C8-99A6-B5FB6C7F6100.jpeg

F00F7234-CC71-4EEB-9DD9-69657D9E9D48.jpeg

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can't find someone local to do it for you, ship it to me in Ponca City and I'll bore it for you. I'm guessing you're a gearhead so do you have a brake cylinder hone? Not the best way but, would work in a pinch.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be wrong and correct me if I am but the portion of the nut that is contacting
does not ever touch the barrel when things are all buttoned up.

So if that is fact then you could use a simple drum sander and enlarge it just so it fits and does not touch.
1642273583282.png

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve thought about just using a drum sander but I want it to fit snug and the bore to be centered just right. I guess it couldn’t hurt to try. Can always get a new nut.
Cylinder hone sounds like it may do the trick.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve thought about just using a drum sander but I want it to fit snug and the bore to be centered just right. I guess it couldn’t hurt to try. Can always get a new nut.
Cylinder hone sounds like it may do the trick.
You can also take a 1/2" or smaller rod that is 3" or so long. Use a band saw or hack saw to cut a horizontal slice down from the front about an inch. Precision doesn't matter.
Put some emery cloth into the slot insert in a drill and you have and instant internal lathe that will take out a couple thousandth very accurately. It's not precision work where you put it, just try to keep somewhat in the center.
Drum sanders will not keep the center circular resulting in high and low spots because the curvature of the drum without a constant source to rotate it will cause those high and low spots.
Your problem is easily solved with the emery paper in a drill. Be prepared to use a lot of emery cloth if you don't have some really abrasive like a 60 grit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom