Anyone with Remington 870 Rust Issues ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCSteve19

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an 870 express 20 gauge tactical I purchased in 2015 and I cleaned it up good 1x and its been sitting and has not had any rust issues. I hear all the time of the express models having rust issues but I have not had any.
Anyone hear or experience this or is the Balistol Oil that I use really that good for protecting a gun?

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have a Remington 870 purchased around 2010 and only had rust issues one time and that was from being stored in a closet that had a bathroom on the other side of the wall.

ever since I upgraded to a safe I’ve never had any issues.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done rust tests on bare steel and found what some use for gun oil really should not be used for gun oil and should be kept in your car.

Another rust issue with guns i figured out a few years ago was some peoples skin has high acid levels or something else that
will rust a gun overnight.

My buddy I hunt with is such a person.
Model 94 of mine has 0 rust and not oiled very often.
He took it out 1 day and I noticed the next day where he was holding it rust was forming.

He takes heart meds and is on Chemo and other stuff.
We found we really need to oil guns he touches and wipe them clean each day.

Reaction score
I have a retired 18” 870 from a local PD. It’s a base model, not the police model. I noticed some rust speckled on the receiver and it has an odd flat black finish. Maybe parkerized. I bought it as a fun target and self defense shotgun. It was cheap and I plan to Cerakote or rattle can it and put on a Magpul stock and fore end anyway. I figured a few decades of sweaty cop hands followed by carefully (not) throwing it in the trunk with confiscated beer contributed to its “patina” 🤣