1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

AOW shotguns

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by ron, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ron

ron Marksman

Rating
    100%
    Been internet pricing them, and just wondering why they are so damn expensive for hacked down remi or mossberg. Can I not take a 870, knock the barrel down on it a submit for the stamp?

2. forindooruseonly

forindooruseonly Sharpshooter

You can do that, but it isn't an AOW anymore, its an SBS. There is a difference between an AOW and a SBS.

AOW is a shotgun that NEVER has had a stock or long barrel, it was designed and sold as basically a pistol shotgun from the factory. Tax stamp is $5 dollars on that.

A Short Barreled Shotgun is a long gun that has had the stock and barrel cut down after leaving the factory. Tax stamp is $200 on that.

I haven't been pricing AOWs other than old ithaca auto-burglars for a while, so I don't know what they are going for, but you need to be aware the tax schedule is different for the two.

3. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Either way, you'd still spend $200 to form 1 it. AOW or SBS doesn't matter. On a form 1 it is always $200. The only $5 stamp is on a form 4 AOW.

4. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Exactly. AOW's only TRANSFER on a Form 4 for $5. To make one on a Form 1 is $200.

5. forindooruseonly

forindooruseonly Sharpshooter

Right, my point was that its $200 dollars in tax to create a SBS, where you can only transfer an AOW to you for $5

I didn't want him to think that it was a $5 tax to create an AOW.

6. ron

ron Marksman

Rating
    100%
    Who other than serbu makes aow shotguns

7. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  8. firewire

firewire Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Oh wow, so Cold Hand Arms makes there own? Interesting! I wonder if he can put a foregrip like the Serbu Super Shorty, Safeharbor KEG12, or TAC2 Shotty?

TAC2 Shotty
    Serbu Super Shorty
    KEG 12
    [Broken External Image]

9. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Sharpshooter

So let me get this straight if your buy an AOW from mossberg or where ever it's $200.00 for the stamp and $5.00 to transfer it to someone else? If you're gunna do that you might as well buy one cut it down and get exactly what you want

10. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    No, you do not have it straight. Mossberg is a licensed manufacturer and pays a yearly tax/fee to be one. When they make any NFA weapon they file a tax free form 2 to put it in the registry. When you as a non-licensee what to make any NFA weapon you file a Form 1 and pay a $200 tax to make it. All transfers of NFA weapons after they are made transfer to individuals on a Form 4 and the tax on that is also $200 unless it is an AOW which is only $5. So, if you are buying a factory AOW, it is only a $5 transfer tax. There is no $200 transfer tax. The stamp just shows the tax was paid.