Appendix carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my question is if you are using a $200 gun for personal protection. Then are you able to buy ammo and ever practice with it? To me ammo is the real cost overtime. Not the one time investment in the gun.
I don't know why I have to justify myself and my choices to anyone but here goes. I have over 350 rounds of 115 FMJ I've collected over the past three to four years. I know it's not that much but at this point it'll have to do. I work at a Walmart, though, so I get the 10% associate discount on ammo. I try to pick up one or two 50 round boxes every payday.

The real concern is paying for range time. I live in an apartment in Tulsa so I don't have any land of my own to shoot on. Thankfully, 2A is relatively inexpensive and if I get back into bringing my own targets it'll be even cheaper.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know why I have to justify myself and my choices to anyone but here goes. I have over 350 rounds of 115 FMJ I've collected over the past three to four years. I know it's not that much but at this point it'll have to do. I work at a Walmart, though, so I get the 10% associate discount on ammo. I try to pick up one or two 50 round boxes every payday.

The real concern is paying for range time. I live in an apartment in Tulsa so I don't have any land of my own to shoot on. Thankfully, 2A is relatively inexpensive and if I get back into bringing my own targets it'll be even cheaper.

My goal was not to make you justify your purchase. We all have our opinions on guns. I still think a $200 gun is better than no gun. (Okay I would take a claw hammer over a hi-point but lets not go there) So you stated you are working within your budget, that makes sense. I respect that. The beauty of the second amendment is we all have the same right. So if you choose to carry the Taurus and it fits you needs. More power to you man. I don't have a budget that would allow me to carry a custom 1911 like some people. I don't begrudge those that have that ability either. My main goal was don't be one of the folks that buys a gun and never shots it and then expects it to work when they need it. I would never trust a carry gun that I hadn't put 100 rounds down the pipe Glocks included.

I think the thread may have gone a little sideways when you brought up the fact that your carry gun that isn't as popular as some other carry options so it simply doesn't have the aftermarket support of more popular guns. Amazingly things do spin out sometimes on the inter webs.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My goal was not to make you justify your purchase. We all have our opinions on guns. I still think a $200 gun is better than no gun. (Okay I would take a claw hammer over a hi-point but lets not go there) So you stated you are working within your budget, that makes sense. I respect that. The beauty of the second amendment is we all have the same right. So if you choose to carry the Taurus and it fits you needs. More power to you man. I don't have a budget that would allow me to carry a custom 1911 like some people. I don't begrudge those that have that ability either. My main goal was don't be one of the folks that buys a gun and never shots it and then expects it to work when they need it. I would never trust a carry gun that I hadn't put 100 rounds down the pipe Glocks included.

I think the thread may have gone a little sideways when you brought up the fact that your carry gun that isn't as popular as some other carry options so it simply doesn't have the aftermarket support of more popular guns. Amazingly things do spin out sometimes on the inter webs.
Thank you, blake711. I didn't mean to derail the thread, either. Yes, the G2c is the gun I can afford right now. Maybe in a year I can step up to a gun I want more, like a Sig P320 or P365 or a FNS-9C, but for now, the Taurus gets me back in the game.

A week ago last Thursday my son and I gave the G2c its first outing. 200 rounds--156 of three different 115 gr. FMJ, 20 of some leftover ZQI 123 NATO, and 24 Hornady Critical Defense 115 JHP. The gun functioned flawlessly--no FTFs or FTEs. Accuracy was on par with a short sight pattern and with my tired old eyes (reminder to self--make eye exam appointment.)

I'll shut up for now--I need to do some more research on kydex IWB holsters...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well said, druryj. Some of us aren't able to afford the "latest and greatest" in self-defense equipment. I can't afford to spend $750-$1,000 for a gun and a holster. Does that mean I shouldn't find what works for me that I can afford?

I'm just going to throw this out there. Right now, you're seeing a TON of LE trade ins of various platforms. Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs. Some are getting down to $225-250 range.

Also, there is also several choices for AIWB carry or IWB. Lots of guys posting what works on FB, Youtube, and other gun forums. Might want to troll around a bit, will always have some trial and error though.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there. Right now, you're seeing a TON of LE trade ins of various platforms. Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs. Some are getting down to $225-250 range.

Also, there is also several choices for AIWB carry or IWB. Lots of guys posting what works on FB, Youtube, and other gun forums. Might want to troll around a bit, will always have some trial and error though.
Unfortunately for me, most of the LEO trade-ins are .40 S&W. Also, while they may be lower price, when you add in shipping and the transfer fees of most FFLs (I've seen some go as high as $45 now) the final price approaches the price of a new gun such as a Sig P320 or many Walthers or M&Ps.

As for the method of carry, I'm concentrating on finding a good IWB holster. I plan to carry at the 3-4 o'clock position. Right now, I can't see myself carrying AIWB (see earlier pic for reason why--I'm not that big but I'm big enough.)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me, most of the LEO trade-ins are .40 S&W. Also, while they may be lower price, when you add in shipping and the transfer fees of most FFLs (I've seen some go as high as $45 now) the final price approaches the price of a new gun such as a Sig P320 or many Walthers or M&Ps.

As for the method of carry, I'm concentrating on finding a good IWB holster. I plan to carry at the 3-4 o'clock position. Right now, I can't see myself carrying AIWB (see earlier pic for reason why--I'm not that big but I'm big enough.)

If you're in Tulsa, Patrick@bang charges $10 and shipping was $20ish from what I've seen on a lot of LE trade ins lately. I honestly don't care what you do either way, I actually hold those little G2s in high regard. I'm just relaying that those guns can be had for cheap and aren't anywhere near $750-1000.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While not in vogue among the professional gun carrying cadre of current YouTube stars, the Crossbreed Super Tuck is a good holster for not a lot of money. They generally ship quickly.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're in Tulsa, Patrick@bang charges $10 and shipping was $20ish from what I've seen on a lot of LE trade ins lately. I honestly don't care what you do either way, I actually hold those little G2s in high regard. I'm just relaying that those guns can be had for cheap and aren't anywhere near $750-1000.
You're absolutely right. I was doing a new gun to new gun comparison. Used guns, especially LEO trade-ins, can be significantly cheaper. Maybe I'll go that way next time.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find appendix carry pretty tough to draw from seated in a car. Takes gobs of practice not to sweep yourself with the muzzle during presentation from a seated position. But heck nobody ever gets jumped in their car right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom