Appendix carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@JD8 I thought I'd update my earlier post since you bumped this thread.

I have way too much gut, not as much as some, but more than others and more than I'd like to have. *sigh*

The Keepers holsters work for me. In addition to the wedges, they are adjustable for cant and height so I run them as low in the pants as they will go to reduce printing. That would probably not pass muster with Spencer for draw speed but it works for me. When I actually do a good run, I can run a Fast Drill with my Coolfire trainer in my M&P Shield out of the Errand holster in about 6 seconds reloading from the pocket depending on what pants I wear. If I carried the mag on the belt I could probably hit the 5 second challenge coin time.

They do take some getting used to and one thing Spencer pointed out is that the longer barreled models actually work better and are more comfortable at the same time. Spencer is a big guy and he carried a G35/G34 for a very long time. I think he's routinely running a Beretta 92 these days. But Gabe White isn't real big and he carries a G34 IIRC with even more gear. Don't underestimate this method of carry. My advice is that if you run a compact "short" gun keep it at a single stack thickness. Otherwise bigger (longer) does seem to be better.

I also have to "degun" when I go to the courthouse so I always use the clip. I just put the holster on with the gun in it. Same for taking off. I'm doing this usually in the street, so I need to be a little bit discreet about it even though I'm locking it up in a Hornady Arm Lock Box.

Shadowrider is right in target. I’ve carried 5” M&Ps appendix in a Keeper without issues. Even a 1000 mile 2 day raid trip. I primarily carry strong side inside the waist band, but do switch back and forth to appendix. Belt, holster, and clothing make all the difference (comfort and concealment) in how well something conceals no matter what location you carry.

I also have to disarm at courthouses, but do that similar as above. I also occasionally have to dress in a manner that does not always facilitate having a full size 4-5” barrel gun.

Properly setup you can draw faster and more discreetly from an appendix holster. Sitting in a chair or in a car, or just about any other position you can imagine. Attempts to carrying appendix with less than ideal equipment will often lead to unsatisfactory results.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh..I see. Well, I lost my gut so I can't say how well it works for me, with a fat roll. Without though, it's fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom