1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Apple slows older phones, for your own good.

Discussion in 'News Links' started by NightShade, Dec 26, 2017.

1. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I don't doubt it. I had an Iphone5 I was totally happy with, and it got so slow that it barely ran. I went through deleting every app, pic, texts, etc, and reloading them with lots of memory left, and it was still slow.
    Ended up getting a new one. Amazing how fast. I think that is not an uncommon practice among the tech giants.
    My dell laptops continually got slower.
    This may open up a whole can of worms.

3. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Often times computers get slower for two reasons, the OS gets crud left by bad software housekeeping practices. Full temp folders, crud in the registry, etc. Plus updates add to not take away so things will naturally slow down. A reinstall tends to help quite a bit until it's used some more and things slow down again.

For a company to PURPOSEFULLY throttle a device is nothing more than forcing the upgrade train.

The same kind of thing is however going to happen with Windows 10 at some point. Most people are already unpaid beta testers when they are forced to take updates and eventually those updates will come with a pricetag. My guess is that when Microsoft EOL's everything before 10 was released a timer will start and 12 to 24 months later your computer will require a credit card to continue working.

4. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Possibly. I thought I'd wiped the old dell clean and reformatted everything, but I'm sure the tech skills in my level can never remotely approach their back door chicanery.
    Its a great tool to throw in the back seat of the truck now to use as a SD card reader to look at game cam pics even with Windows 10 installed.
    For the record though, I was tasked to bring the Inlaws computer back online after the FIL was committed to a memory care unit in a nursing home. He took care of all the bills, etc., and we needed to access the account numbers, etc. to get the accounts moved over to MIL.
    Damned if it wasn't an XT level OS. It still worked. We extracted all the info we needed. It took a long time in todays standards to open a new page.
    I don't miss those days.

5. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

RETOKSQUID likes this.
  6. Biggsly

Biggsly Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Luckily Apple came out with a new over-priced phone just in time............

7. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I had an IPhone1 and learned then, I didn't like Apple.

8. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%

Yeah recovering stuff can be a pain. I worked for a WISP at one point and had to go setup and troubleshoot stuff from time to time. One place in Geronimo that I went to the husband was not at home and the wife didn't know the password. I just pulled out my favorite bootable tool and removed the password for her. Afterwards I did what I had to do and left with a working internet connection. Didn't poke around but I have to wonder if the wife did afterwards, not to mention what she may have found.

If you ever get into a spot again where you need to start over let me know. I tend to skip the bloatware that the OEM's install which helps a ton. And a little tip is that when you install ANYTHING do a custom install as by default they tend to throw in a toolbar or helper or any number of other things that just slow the systems down faster.

I personally am not an apple fanboy. I used a II when I was in school early on and learned to do a little minor programing on it to make a graphic and helped setup a random number generator based racing game. Once the Mac came out I was already disenthused with their business model, upgrades were super expensive and limited to a small subset of "approved" hardware which was more expensive than the pc counterpart. A lot of their system stability is based on their use of server grade cpu's and error correcting code ram which is more expensive but their profit margins are way to big for my liking.

I also do a lot of things with my phone and computers that any OEM would cringe over, my phone boots up with a screen complaining about the unlocked boot loader but it allows me to basically obliterate advertisements in apps and the web from my phone where I pay for the data and am not too keen on wasting it. I can also remove the bloatware that the OEM's and carrier's install, have my phone answer and automatically hang up unwanted phone calls and change the GPS location it gets bypassing the built in protections that prevent it which is a ton of fun with the new augmented reality games and preventing the phone from being tracked if I don't want it to be.

Fyrtwuck likes this.
  9. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Same here. Just got rid of an iphone 6 that became super slow and ate through the battery super fast after updating to IOS 11.whatever. Got an 8 and it's blazing. I use my for for work and school so I just look at it as a necessary expense.

Planned obsolescence is an age old tactic...

10. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Hmmm...

...my Motorola Droid-something is still going good after at least two years. Is that too short of a time?