Appleseed rifle clinic including full distance shooting, April 20-21 at USSA in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greetings shooters,

This is not your ordinary Appleseed. April 20-21, 2013 is the weekend that we dedicate to remembering the heroes of the American militia who fought, bled, and died 238 years ago on April 19, for a chance at passing a little more liberty down to the next generation. It is also a time to reflect on what we are passing down to our next generation -- whether we are leaving them with more liberty, or less.

Join us for a weekend of drilling in the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, and of solemn remembrance of those who made it possible for us to gather for such a purpose. Whether you are a novice, an expert Rifleman, or anything in between, you will benefit from the coaching of our experienced instructors. Appleseed teaches shooters to deliver precise and rapid fire from field positions. Our curriculum is designed to teach all the skills necessary to pick up a rack grade rifle with iron sights and standard ball ammunition, and consistently hit a man-sized target out to 500 yards -- the Rifleman's Quarter Mile. We shoot the Army Qualification Test, and award the coveted Rifleman patch to those who prove their mettle by scoring Expert. Most of the event is conducted on a 25m range. On Sunday, we will take those who are shooting at or near Expert level to the 300m range, for qualification at full distance. A shooter can participate in this event with any safe rifle, though the course of fire is geared toward detachable magazine or stripper clip fed rifles. We have a procedure that allows tube fed rifles to keep up. .22 rimfire rifles are fine, and are a great way to save on ammo costs. Shooters will need to bring suitable rifles if they wish to participate in full distance shooting on Sunday.

We have some special things planned for this event that you will not experience at other Appleseeds. One such thing is that you will be a part of the largest coordinated firing line ever assembled, as we fire a volley in unison with all of the other Appleseed locations across the country, to commemorate the heroes of April 19.

Appleseed is affiliated with the Civilian Marksmanship Program, and participation in an Appleseed, along with a $20 yearly membership to our parent organization (the RWVA), qualifies you to purchase government surplus M-1 Garand rifles and ammunition for highly discounted rates. The CMP is possibly the only remaining source of semi-automatic battle rifles and ammunition that are available for pre-crisis prices. There are only so many of these old war horses left, so get yours while you can.

The cost is $80 for the weekend, or $50 if you can only come for one day. Free or discounted rates are available to certain groups to which we believe it is extra important to promote our heritage of liberty. This includes women, youth, law enforcement, and current military. Also, as highlighted by recent tragic events, we believe strongly in spreading our shooting heritage to school employees. If you work for an educational institution of any type -- government, private, university, etc. -- you may sign up using the military/law enforcement discount and bring proof of employment (ID badge, pay stub, etc.).

I hope to see lots of OSA'ers on the firing line.

Here is the link to the Event Info Page: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=228

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You still get a patch for shooting Expert at 25m. Normally we would need a 400 yard range to qualify at full distance, but I will try to get us some reduced size targets that simulate a 400 yard target when posted at 300, so we can do the whole qualification course of fire at full distance too.

Groundwire

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This sounds really interesting and beneficial but there are a couple of things that are causing me to wait before signing up:

1. Ammo availability (100 rounds minimum recommended)
2. Rifle availability - the recommended rifles (Rugar and Marlin) seem to be as scarce as the ammo.

I do have a Malin lever action .22 but still the ammo... IDK. I haven't seen ANY recently.
What do you think?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone on the bubble about going....do it! I was hesistant my first time but went ahead and signed my oldest boy and myself up. We had a blast.

Good, solid, fundamental, shooting discipline without the tacticoolness and ego. Too many people want to get right into the "high-risk operater" shooting before they can even shoot minute-of-barn door.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We realize ammo availability is going to impact turnout... all I can say is do the best you can to track some down. If you're looking for .22, you could always order one of these: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/22-lr-40gr-rn-525rds.html
and hope it arrives before the shoot!

This is another good reason to be CMP certified. They have lots of .22 LR ammo in stock that can be shipped to your door. The Aguila stuff they sell is very good ammo.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We realize ammo availability is going to impact turnout... all I can say is do the best you can to track some down. If you're looking for .22, you could always order one of these: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/22-lr-40gr-rn-525rds.html
and hope it arrives before the shoot!

This is another good reason to be CMP certified. They have lots of .22 LR ammo in stock that can be shipped to your door. The Aguila stuff they sell is very good ammo.

Palmetto is sold out and CMP is saying 6-12 months for .22 orders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom