Appleseed Sep 28-29 - Pittsburg, KS - If Pittsburg is closer than Tulsa come on out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lomshek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_Appleseed_ASBannerforCC.gif

APPLESEED RIFLE CLINIC
Sep 28-29 at Bone Creek Gun Club

Bone Creek Gun Club is hosting a two day Appleseed rifle clinic on the final weekend of September.
You can find event info, a guide on preparing for Appleseeds and a link to online registration at the event information page.

Tulsa is hosting one as well the same weekend. If Tulsa is more convenient here's the Tulsa Appleseed event page with all the details.

i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_Appleseed_Annwatching593x100.jpg

Appleseed founder Fred will be our lead instructor in Pittsburg! If you've ever read his columns in Shotgun News come on out and meet the legend.
Enjoy a fun filled weekend of top notch riflery and learn stories of Revolutionary War heroes you've never heard in school.

i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_Appleseed_Learningourheritage.jpg

Register online today - Under 21 shoots for $20, Ladies $40 and Men $80 for two days of world class instruction. Less if just one day.
LEO's, all military and elected officials shoot free!
(registering in advance gets you a t-shirt and helps us bring enough gear)

i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_Appleseed_BoysshootingforCC.jpg

Who can shoot - Anyone who can safely handle a rifle. Shooters as young as 5 and over 70 have taken part.
Kids and adults, moms & dads and youth organizations are welcome.

Scouts - This is not a scouting program but the skills you learn will make merit badge qualification a walk in the park.
This is a rare chance to learn rifle shooting skills far beyond the average shooter.

i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_Appleseed_MinuteMan486x100.jpg

Military and Law Enforcement - This class is much more than the Basic Rifle Marksmanship taught to all service members and teaches skills closer to the Squad Designated Marksman. Deploying military units have been successfully trained by Appleseed as part of their pre-deployment rifle training. The course is well suited to a beginner but allows a skilled shooter to advance to a much higher level.

Shooting is done on miniature targets at 25 yards that represent shots of 100 - 400 yards.
Any kind of rifle is welcome but semi-autos with peep sights or scopes and removable magazines work best.

i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_Appleseed_MichaelM1601x100.jpg

The short distance makes rimfires like Ruger's 10/22 an excellent training rifle. Centerfire rifles like the AR, M14, FAL, etc. are welcome if you can afford to feed them!
There may be a chance to shoot to 200 yards on the second day if you shoot centerfire.

Lomshek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here’s my AAR of our Appleseed Sep 28-29. We had periods of steady rain mixed with drizzle and mist interspersed with the occasional dry spell. Towards late afternoon the sky lightened and at least let us dry a little before the sun kind of made an appearance the last 30 minutes. Temps topped out at about 72.

28 shooters with great attitudes showed up on Saturday. Ages ranged from 9 or so up to my dad at 71 years old firing his brand new Daniel Defense carbine at his first Appleseed and first organized shooting event since he left the Army after Vietnam (CO of a vehicle maintenance company).

Appleseed founder Fred made the trip out to Kansas to help run this and I acted as assistant RO (Orange Hat in Appleseed instructor speak). Fred ran the line on Saturday then turned it over to me on Sunday.

Between strings of fire shooters would take a 10 or so minute break and a piece of the shooting puzzle would be explained as we demonstrated proper form or technique. Fred also used some breaks to tell tales of Revolutionary War exploits of well known founders and not so well known.

We had laid out enough targets for a double firing line (half shoot then clear rifles and step back, the other half fire then clear and everyone at once checks their targets). The forecasted foul weather killed what is typically close to 50/50 pre-registration/day of registration numbers. We had 31 pre-registered and expected a total of 40 – 50 shooters in good weather. Since the firing line can handle 30+ shooters we just shot as one relay all day.

That left us a full-to-the-gills firing line with motivated shooters interested in saving their country and looking to learn the art of riflery while picking up some Revolutionary War stories never learned in school!

On to some more photos!!!

The ladies of Appleseed!

The kids of Appleseed!

A solid line of patriots

Checking out targets after a string of fire

Fred regaling us with stories of Revolutionary War heroes

Can you shoot like a girl?

Yeah that’s three rounds in less than an inch at 25 yards (two just out). Ignore the earlier sloppy rounds.

My dad on the firing line.

Lomshek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

A short lecture on the principles of marksmanship

Pairing off to do Ball-and-Dummy drills

On day two mid-afternoon we hit the 200 yard range to try and apply what we learned at 25.
As we saw it’s amazing how a 2” group at 25 yards turns into a dinner plate at 200. The point was learned that until one can shoot tiny little groups at 25 there's not much point doing full distance shooting unless your goal is to get lots of walking in.

A 2" group at 25 yards translates into 8" at 200 and 16 at 400. Until you can hold tighter than that you're spending more time walking than shooting and learning. Wind and drop don't mean much until you can consistently hit the target without them.

Slung up tight, NPOA achieved, consistent respiratory pause and good trigger press mean hits on target!

Yeah that’s 6 rounds (out of 10) in 4 inches at 200 yards.

By the end of the weekend we learned a lot about shooting and the sacrifices made to create this country. A new appreciation was gained for the risks taken and the blood shed.

If you haven’t done an Appleseed you owe it to yourself to try!

Latest posts

Top Bottom