Applying for FFL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
699C6427-200C-4B80-8C61-7A967327B4DD.jpeg
When filling out the application for a FFL the top line says dealer in firearms $200 the second line says pawnbroker in firearms $200 if you select the first line can you only handle new firearms and not purchase used firearms as a pawnbroker or do you have to get both for $400?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you become a dealer in firearms, you can handle new weapons, and you can buy used weapons, but both have to be entered into your Acquisitions and Dispositions book. As a pawnbroker, you can handle new weapons, buy used firearms--both, again, listed in your A&D book--and take used firearms in on pawn. I'm not sure that you can have both types of licenses at the same time. The book keeping is different for dealers and pawnbrokers as far as I know.

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s one or the other

If you really want to become an FFL. Google “ffl newsletter” and read every single one you can find. It is put together by the ATF and has tons of great info.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also. Somewhere on my computer I have a list of questions that they go over in the on-site interview. At least when I did mine. I can try to post it here if you like when we get back home

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another question is do you have to do this full time? I don’t see making a living right off the start a buddy put his hours down as part time evenings and Saturday and on line 24 hours a day and he was denied

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another question is do you have to do this full time? I don’t see making a living right off the start a buddy put his hours down as part time evenings and Saturday and on line 24 hours a day and he was denied

The rule says that you have to be “engaged in dealing in firearms”. Nowhere I’ve read that you must make a profit or do it full time. Just put down certain times and make sure that the agent understands that the licenses is in no way an effort to increase you personal collection

Just so it’s said. There are much easier ways to make Money.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do not have to do it full time. Many so-called "kitchen table" FFLs do it as a part time business in addition to their real job (often necessary, as selling guns is not exactly the road to riches). With that said, there is little doubt that the BATFE has been trying to weed out non-"brick-and-mortar" dealers for some time. It may not be "official policy", but the effort has been and is still being made. Your buddy's projected hours were not likely the sole reason for his denial, either.

If selling guns is what you want to do for a living, then get an FFL. On the other hand, there are a number of guys at any gun show who buy, sell, and trade guns like mad, and some of them will hit every show in a given geographical area week after week. As long as their "hobby" does not constitute a substantial portion of their income, there is nothing wrong with this. If, for example, a guy is netting $2k a month in retirement income, making $200-$300 a month at gun shows would not be deemed a substantial part of his overall income. If he were taking in $2500 or so a month, net, from his "hobby", he might draw the attention of the BATFE. The issue is not how many guns a guy buys and sells, but rather whether or not he is making his living by so doing.
You would only need an FFL if your hobby becomes a business. Otherwise, be advised that the paper work that goes along with being an FFL is substantial and must be maintained for years, even after the FFL "retires" from the gun selling bidness.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Otherwise, be advised that the paper work that goes along with being an FFL is substantial and must be maintained for years, even after the FFL "retires" from the gun selling bidness.

Once you close up shop you have like 90 days to ship Bound books and 4473's to "out of business repository"

Latest posts

Top Bottom