Ar-15 experts step in please..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had a problem using steel cased ammo in an AR. Maybe I'm just special like that.
keep it long enough you will. I see it every week. stuck cases and junior gun plumber bolt destroying techniques. Ther is simply not enough taper to the case in 5.56 for it to be a good candidate for steel cartridges.7.62x39 is fine because of the rapid body taper. The lack of strong primary extraction on stoner rifles is not conducive to steel ammo.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
keep it long enough you will. I see it every week. stuck cases and junior gun plumber bolt destroying techniques. Ther is simply not enough taper to the case in 5.56 for it to be a good candidate for steel cartridges.7.62x39 is fine because of the rapid body taper. The lack of strong primary extraction on stoner rifles is not conducive to steel ammo.
Probably so. If you keep and use anything long enough you'll more than likely have some kind of problem with it. Stuff wears out. When it does, I replace it.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably so. If you keep and use anything long enough you'll more than likely have some kind of problem with it. Stuff wears out. When it does, I replace it.
The Colt Gold Cup I have been shooting for 35 years now works better than when new. Although the worn off corners and holster worn metal don't look near as good.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From your description, it could be several things or a combination. The bolt is cycling enough to load the next round, yet not pushing back far enough to engage the bolt hold open on the last round.

Weak ammo
Bad magazines
Lack of lubrication
Under gassed
Bad extractor
Gas rings on the bolt
Loose carrier key
Weak extractor spring
Incorrect buffer weight
Buffer spring is too strong

You just have to work your way through each of the possible causes till it works like it’s supposed to.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I don't shoot steel case ammo, only brass and I'm using brand new Gen 2 Pmags. Swapping out the BCG seemed to fix the problem but I'll keep it well lubed and running quality ammo until it's broke in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom