AR-15 failing to go into battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back to what Swamprat mentioned… how difficult it it to seat a fully loaded magazine with the bolt carrier forward? I’m thinking it’s a combination of tolerance stacking with the parts you used.

I tried a PMag just now, and still had the same battery issue. When I loaded it fully and tried seating it on the closed bolt, I had to smack the bottom of the mag with the heel of my palm to get it to lock into place. The mag release button was stiff to push after that, but it did work.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried a PMag just now, and still had the same battery issue. When I loaded it fully and tried seating it on the closed bolt, I had to smack the bottom of the mag with the heel of my palm to get it to lock into place. The mag release button was stiff to push after that, but it did work.

With the upper and lower separated, insert a magazine into the lower and see if it’s pushing upward on the bolt stop. I’m wondering if the bolt stop is dragging on the carrier.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i see the trigger isn't mil spec? try the upper on another lower? already though you have identified an issue that the recoil spring and buffer won't come out as they are supposed to.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The buffer not coming out. Did you take the buffer retainer and spring out? I believe jp recommends to remove it for the silent capture. But I don’t think this is your main problem.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I just tried the upper on another, known good lower, and had the same problem of the bolt not going fully into battery with a magazine inserted. Then I managed to remove the JP silent capture buffer, and I tried two different springs, a standard and a heavy duty, and two buffers, standard and heavy. Releasing the bolt on an inserted magazine partly stripped a round but stopped; the furthest forward the bolt ever got was with the JP buffer. The problem appears to be in the upper, and somehow seems related to the presence of a magazine, loaded or not.

I did notice that if I loaded a fresh round, then dropped the mag after the failure to go into battery, and I ejected the one round, I noticed faint striations spiraling very slightly along the length of the bullet from the case mount toward the point. Like the dashed line on a divided road. The marks weren’t there before the attempted chambering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom