AR-15 failing to go into battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not for nothing but here goes. Are the magazines the right caliber? 6.8 SPC will allow the 5.56 load but it damn sure won't feed and acted exactly what you are telling us.
I purchased an AR from a member here and he "threw in" 5 magazines. I purchased the multi 5.56/223 caliber instead of the AR10 308 for the same money. The 5.56 had better quality innards. The seller said, "Take that box of magazines with you." pointing toward a small box of newish looking mags.
He said he built the rifle himself and test fired a mag, cleaned it, and set it back. I can't get anywhere to fire it for over a year and finally get to shoot it. I chambered a round with the charging handle and it went boom and immediately hung a round above the gas tube. I of course took my time getting it out and checked the tube for bends and creases and propper insertion into the BCG. I tried again and stove piped one with a jam halfway into the chamber.
Frustrated, I cleared it and brought it home checking clearances and reading about adjustable gas blocks assuming that was the cause and put the rifle up again. Screwing around using one of the gimme magazines as a template for a shelf system for storage, I noticed it said 6.8. on the follower and remembering in 1976 the AR magazines had a ballistic missile looking follower with the pointy end toward the front to show 18 year old mamma's boys which end of the round goes to the front. I looked at the side of the mag and it too said D& H Tactical, 6.8 SPC.

:yikes2:Well %^&*ING - A!!!!

I had some old military M-16 mags and drove out to the farm. Brrrrp. As fast as I could pull the trigger the rounds just left the weapon.

View attachment 263161
Read post #57. :D

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out! I was going to ask about that part. I wasn’t familiar with the NFA side charging upper and started reading about it. Saw the part where it uses a special cam pin. Made me wonder if that was where the issue was taking place because it would be a cause for symptoms you described.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In their literature, NFA says their side charging upper will work with any milspec BCG. That’s where I thought to myself, “That sounds great, I’ll order one and try it.”

What I failed to notice was the very next part in the product description. “Replace the cam pin with our modified cam pin…”

Not only that, but I didn’t notice the supplied modified cam pin that was in the shipping box - in a bright yellow zip loc bag, no less.

That was going to be my next guess... lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom