ar-15 lower builders....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
neat little trick I found a couple years ago. We all know what a pain that back detent pin and spring is....well found this a few years ago, but haven't put one together since. if you get a 4-40 tap and some 4-40 x 1/8 set screws, you can cut off a few coils of the spring...so you can get your detent out. But tap it and put in the set screw, now you never have to deal with that again. Take stocks off, change configuration, whatever, easy peasy. I think I even got all the parts to do it on ebay of all places. Kind of defeats the purpose if I have to drive all over town for the parts, but once you have them, you don't to buy them again. Think I got 5 set screws to the pack, and the rest is something that never has to be replaced unless you lose it.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only negative issue I have experienced with that spring was bending one a bit when I wasn't paying attention while putting on aa adjustable stock receiver extension. Bent it back mostly straight. No problems.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Only negative issue I have experienced with that spring was bending one a bit when I wasn't paying attention while putting on aa adjustable stock receiver extension. Bent it back mostly straight. No problems.

I did this once, kinked the spring. Still functioned fine, but I pay more attention now.

I'll consider this next time I build or take down my current lower.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife was up Tulsa way and picked me up an Anderson lower and LPK less the FCG from Fatboy for Christmas. Upon opening it up, I patiently waited until the present opening ceremony was over, and put it together, along with a 10.5" upper and an extra Ace pistol tube that was laying around. I don't have the aluminum cap part that goes with the tube, holding the tube from coming loose and retaining that spring. Perhaps I will do this today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom