AR-15 SBR requirements ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2king

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm looking for to own the SBR but not sure the requirements on this ? Understand that we have to fill out the paperwork but which one and any taxstamp involved ? Please be specific what has to be done when you chime in ....

Thanks in advance !!!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
are you going to build it or buy one already built ?
1 Build it. Fill out form 1 submit with Photos and fingerprints and $200 do not assemble until paperwork approved.
2 Buy it built. go to dealer pay for gun. Fill out form 4 submit with photos and fingerprints and $200

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are transferring the item from a dealer to you, it requires a Form-4

You will need...

2 BATFE Form 4's
2 Passport size photographs attached to the Form 4's
2 Fingerprint cards with the ORI for BATFE on the cards
1 Citizenship form certifying that you are a US citizen
Signature of your local CLEO on both Form 4's
$200.00 transfer fee
A lot of patience cause the BATFE does NOT get in a hurry to complete the transfer process.

If you are making your own SBR

You will need...

2 BATFE Form 1's
2 Passport size photographs attached to the Form 1's
2 Fingerprint cards with the ORI for BATFE on the cards
1 Citizenship form certifying that you are a US citizen
Signature of your local CLEO on both Form 1's
$200.00 "making" fee
The receiver must be engraved with the "makers" name, City and State. There are BATFE regs that describe the minimum size and depth for engraving.
A lot of patience cause the BATFE does NOT get in a hurry to complete the transfer process.

There are also procedures if you want to use a trust or efile, but I've never used those routes and can't guide you in that direction.

The forms and fingerprint cards can be ordered free of charge from the BATFE website.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the changes there are 3 parts to the new Form 4. (and I'm assuming the Form 1) It now required 3 passport photos.

Signature of the CLEO is no longer required. It is now a notification process. That is where the 3rd form/picture is going.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was not aware that three photos are now required. I wonder why? I knew that the CLEO was required to sign the form by state law, but I haven't heard that it was now no longer required.

I was talking about the original way of making and filling out the forms, not a trust or efile. We aren't getting the two mixed are we?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was not aware that three photos are now required. I wonder why? I knew that the CLEO was required to sign the form by state law, but I haven't heard that it was now no longer required.

I was talking about the original way of making and filling out the forms, not a trust or efile. We aren't getting the two mixed are we?

Yes, for an individual using paper forms there is now 3. 2 that go to the ATF and one for the CLEO. All three require a photo. The CLEO does not have to sign or return, but you have to "notify" the CLEO by sending the form to him.

I think the reason for the 3rd photo is because previously the CLEO would see the forms being submitted.

Here is the new Form 4

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download

Latest posts

Top Bottom