AR-9 pistol build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I think this might be my last BCA product. Emailed them and haven't heard back yet. I WILL finish this build. I guess this is what I get for going cheap. Shoulda got a UTG like I did for my first rifle.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I think I'm cursed for buying BCA! Got the wrench in and the damn thing is too thick. Measured the area on the barrel nut, has about 7/16" clearance and all the crow feet I've seen on Amazon are .5-.7". I'm tempted just to grind this one I got down to fit, its a cheap brand and only cost $7. *sigh* I will never again buy BCA...

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I think I'm cursed for buying BCA! Got the wrench in and the damn thing is too thick. Measured the area on the barrel nut, has about 7/16" clearance and all the crow feet I've seen on Amazon are .5-.7". I'm tempted just to grind this one I got down to fit, its a cheap brand and only cost $7. *sigh* I will never again buy BCA...
Might first thought was grind it down. No other thought seemed necessary.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you bought BCA I didn't see the need to rub it in. There are a couple companies that make thin barrel nut wrenches though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mentium-He...-Nut-Tool-Armorer-Wrench-1-3-16-/264502310628
https://ar15discounts.com/products/nbs-slim-barrel-nut-wrench-1-3-16/

That one on ebay won't fit, its .5", the width of the space on the barrel nut is 5/16". The other one would fit, but I'll just grind down the cheap one I already have.

And yeah... rub it in and make it sting... will make sure I won't buy their stuff again.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

That barrel nut design is not unique to them. Many other cheap and/or early slim handguards used that design. I’ve heard of this same issue before.
It’s something I’ve learned to check before purchase: make sure the tool is included or uses a standard tool.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That barrel nut design is not unique to them. Many other cheap and/or early slim handguards used that design. I’ve heard of this same issue before.
It’s something I’ve learned to check before purchase: make sure the tool is included or uses a standard tool.

I have this strange premonition that once I am able to tighten it down, I will never get it to line up properly....

I swear, if that happens I'm throwing it away and will just have to put this build on the back burner, wife just got furloughed today, so money is gonna be a lot slimmer here soon.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to hear that about about your wife man. Are you using areoshell or some grease on the nut? You should be able to torque to 35# then line up the holes np.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to hear that about about your wife man. Are you using areoshell or some grease on the nut? You should be able to torque to 35# then line up the holes np.

Well right now, not using anything as I don't have a wrench that fits yet. Like I said though, think I'm just gonna grind the one I bought down until it fits. Won't take much, less than 1/4". If I take 1/8th of each side (part of that will be the chrome plating that is slathered on thicker than a New Yorker puts A1 on a steak) and I should be good. After that I could care less if the cheap wrench rusts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom